The Perfect Setup - Mandriva 2007 Free Edition
Author: Falko Timme
Last edited 12/01/2006
This is a detailed description about how to set up a Mandriva 2007 Free Edition based server that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters (web server (SSL-capable), mail server (with SMTP-AUTH and TLS!), DNS server, FTP server, MySQL server, POP3/IMAP, Quota, Firewall, etc.).
I will use the following software:
- Web Server: Apache 2
- Mail Server: Postfix
- DNS Server: BIND9
- FTP Server: proftpd
- POP3/IMAP server
- Webalizer for web site statistics
In the end you should have a system that works reliably and is ready for the free webhosting control panel ISPConfig (i.e., ISPConfig runs on it out of the box).
I want to say first that this is not the only way of setting up such a system. There are many ways of achieving this goal but this is the way I take. I do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you!
1 Preliminary Note
In this example I will use the following settings for my system:
- IP address: 192.168.0.100, gateway: 192.168.0.1
- Host name: server1.example.com
Your settings will most likely differ, so you might have to adjust the instructions from this tutorial.
To install such a system you will need the following:
- Download the 4 Mandriva 2007 Free Edition CD iso images from a mirror near you (the list of mirrors can be found here: http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free), e.g. mandriva-free-2007-CD1.i586.iso, mandriva-free-2007-CD2.i586.iso, mandriva-free-2007-CD3.i586.iso, and mandriva-free-2007-CD4.i586.iso.
- an internet connection...
3 The Base System
Boot from your Mandriva 2007 CD (CD 1). Select Installation and press Enter:
Choose your language next:
Accept the license and click on Next:
Select Standard as the Security level and leave the field Security Administrator empty:
Now we have to partition our hard disk. You can choose to let the Mandriva installer do the partitioning, or you can do it yourself. I want to create a small /boot partition (about 150 MB) with the file system ext3, a swap partition and a huge / partition (again with ext3):
Click on Next if you have all four CDs of the Mandriva Download Edition: