Wordpress Multisite + Mapped Domains + LetsEncrypt

Discussion in 'General' started by Thane, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ahrasis

ahrasis Member

I am using this as well and created LE SSL certificates for each of the alias domains. I think LE will not limit the certificates this way, but I may be wrong.

2. Thane

Thane New Member

@Jessie

3. Thane

Thane New Member

Ahrasis,
    Hmmm, so Alias Domain's is working for you doing this setup aye? I suppose I shall give that another try then. This time I will make an attempt using a third test domain. Does it matter what order I set this up? My last tries I started by creating a new subsite in my Multisite Network, then I mapped it to its www.Child-Site.com domain, then I twiddled with it in ISPConfig. Should I be adding it as an Alias Domain before mapping it out and creating the Subsite? I will begin testing a third Child Site now...

4. Thane

Thane New Member

Update:
    So stumped. here is the last tidbit of the most recent test letsencrypt.log:
    2017-03-21 02:06:08,803:DEBUG:letsencrypt.cli:Exiting abnormally:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/letsencrypt", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('letsencrypt==0.4.1', 'console_scripts', 'letsencrypt')()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/letsencrypt/cli.py", line 1986, in main
    return config.func(config, plugins)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/letsencrypt/cli.py", line 706, in obtain_cert
    _, action = _auth_from_domains(le_client, config, domains, lineage)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/letsencrypt/cli.py", line 457, in _auth_from_domains
    new_certr, new_chain, new_key, _ = le_client.obtain_certificate(domains)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/letsencrypt/client.py", line 252, in obtain_certificate
    return self.obtain_certificate_from_csr(domains, csr) + (key, csr)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/letsencrypt/client.py", line 229, in obtain_certificate_from_csr
    authzr)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 319, in request_issuance
    headers={'Accept': content_type})
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 652, in post
    return self._check_response(response, content_type=content_type)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 568, in _check_response
    raise messages.Error.from_json(jobj)
    Error: urn:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new cert :: Too many certificates already issued for: Main-Domain.com​

Not sure if that means I can't add any more alt-names for Main-Domain's SSL? Incidentally while I was setting up Child-Site3.com in the Multiste + adding it as an Alias-Domain something threw my Main-Domain LE SSL out of whack, had to restart Apache2 and reset my Main-Domain SSL, so the last bit of that log file is probably info about LE trying to give me my old cert back... Also, a long ways up the log file there is a bunch of stuff about Child-Site3, nothing that made any sense as far as errors though :/

The quest continues...

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Member

Just make sure you can publicly access your alias domain before ticking/applying for its LE SSL certificate.

6. Thane

Thane New Member

Pretty sure I've run against LE's rate limiting so I'll be unable to continue testing until next week. Unless I plop down another domain on a new Multisite install to continue testing, lol... i think I'll wait.

So as long as the rate limiting has been the factor causing me all these problems, my next question will be how many domains can i stick on my Main-Domain SSL before hitting the next wall of limits. I've ready that SANs are limited to 5 per week, not sure if that means the www-version + non-www version or no, in either case looks like I'll only be able to add a potential-maximum of 5 domains per week (unless the ww/non-ww versions count as 2 domains, in that case I would only be able to bring 2 sites into the network per week.).

Will begin testing next week after my limits are refreshed and report back :)

7. ahrasis

ahrasis Member

That is sure enough.

You don't need to use main domain. You can always create one subdomain for testing and other subdomains as its aliases.