Which version is best to use for a first time Linux User?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Martin Hernandez IV, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Martin Hernandez IV

Martin Hernandez IV New Member

I am a college student and currently going to school for Cybersecurity. So far, I have been exposed to CentOS and Ubuntu. My question is what is the best platform for a student who is new to Linux? I'm tending to get lost between all the variations. Your feedback would be very valuable to me! Much thanks

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Recent similar discussions:
    Going on, I plan just refer to this thread for questions about new to GNU/Linux.
    Asking what is best is not properly answerable if it is not specified what criteria is used for assessing bestness. I can not know which attributes are valued most. It could be price, ease of installation, documentation available, suitability for intrusion testing, etc.
    Choose one GNU/Linux distribution and stick to that. I have known distro shoppers, and advicing them is frustrating. I help the distro shopper set up the system, and next time we meet he has a another Linux distribution with a different set of problems.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    ahrasis likes this.
  3. Martin Hernandez IV

Martin Hernandez IV New Member

Thank you Taleman! You responded to me and several of my classmates! we look forward to learning more about Linux & Ubuntu

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It just occurred to me the new users to this forum may not know how to search for existing answers.
    To find related threads on this forum, use Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com new linux user