What about the hostname?!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by stigge2000, Apr 1, 2011.

1. stigge2000

stigge2000 Member

Hi everyone!

I'm running ISPCONFIG3 on a dedicated server, and i've had my share of DNS problems... i'm still not sure what the problem is but i need to ask some questions I hope you guys can help me with.

ok...
    When i installed the ispconfig+mysql+bind9...etc on my centos5.5 I told the system to use: DNS1.DOMAIN.COM as hostname. I was using my ISP DNS then and everything worked just fine.
    But when I wanted to setup my own NS i told my registrar to glue my DOMAN.COM to my IP... no prob sofar, and then I pointed DOMAIN.COM to NS1.DOMAIN.COM and NS2.DOMAIN.COM and created a DOMAIN.COM with NS1 and NS2 records.

and now the DNS-tools report to me that my NS1 and NS2 have no A records, but they do! (inside the DOMAIN.COM zone)

so my question is: do i need to change the "Hostname" on the server to DOMAIN.COM instead of DNS1.DOMAIN.COM... is the hostname really THAT important?

/Thx

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to add dns a-records for ns1 and ns1 in the dns server of the registrar (this are the glue records) and additionally in the domain.com dns zone on your ispconfig server.

No. The hostname is not relevant for dns and the hostname should always be a subdomain of domain.comn like ns1.domain.com and not just domain.com.