Webmail redirects to homepage of site

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jopa123, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

1) www.website1.com/webmail redirects to the homepage of the site (not a 404)

2) www.myserversdomain.com/webmail works just fine

3) 192.168.x.x/webmail works just fine

Also, I have "webmaster@" setup as the email in the dns zone. Do I also need to setup that email account in the email section of ISPConfig, or is that somehow setup by default?

One last thing, I followed this tute for setting up the dns zones on Godaddy:

http://scottelkin.com/programming/how-to-properly-configure-godaddy-dns-settings/

and I setup a webmaster@ account in ISPConfig. I can now send email from webmaster@ but cannot receive email. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always

2. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Webmail is only accessible trough the so named default vhost of the server. The default vhost can be reached trough the IP address of the server or the hostname of the server. So the behaviour that you describe is normal, as you tried to reach webmail trogh a website that you creted and not troifg the ip or server hostname.

3. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Thanks till,

I want to make sure I understand this, tho.

Just FYI, I setup each of my sites up with as different client (long story, but it's easier for me). So, in theory, these are different customers with different sites and different domains but if they wanted to check their email via webmail they would all have to go to mydomain.com/webmail in order to log in and check their webmail?

It's really not a problem for me currently since each individual "client" is actually me, but it doesn't seem like a logical setup.

4. ByteMe Networking

ByteMe Networking New Member

Hey jopa123,

From reading your post it sounds like this might help with what you are trying to do. Basically the way I have my server setup any domain that is added to ISPConfig can access webmail using for ex. domainA.com/webmail, domainB.com/webmail.

What the info at the link does is allow any domain to have /webmail without setting up anything special. Just add a new domain wait for propagation and your clients can use theredomain.com/webmail

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246351&postcount=8

Hope this help,
    Casey