webmail client for ispconfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by saco721, Oct 31, 2011.

1. saco721

saco721 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I am running ISPconfig 3 on a Debian multi-server setup, and was wondering what webmail client is best for this setup. I am currently using outlook for mail but would like to offer webmail too.

Could you also direct me to setup instuctions for configuration of webmail.

Thank you for your time!

2. jamesl22

jamesl22 New Member

Hi,

I'm using SquirrelMail for my webmail. You can install it by just typing:
    Code:
    apt-get install squirrelmail
    on your webserver.

Then, use:
    Code:
    squirrelmail-configure
    to input your imap and smtp server ip's etc.

Finally, add:
    Code:
    Include /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf

to the top of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

You can visit the webmail at http://yourserver.tld/squirrelmail

You can then add the webmail URL to ISPConfig under System -> Interface Config -> Mail -> Webmail URL. Make sure the "Link to webmail in Mailbox list" checkbox is ticked.

Hope this helps,

James

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. saco721

Hi James and Falko,

I have installed squirrelmail and can access it at http://myserver.tld/squirrelmail, I can login to the mailboxes fine but can only access local mail, when I try to send mail to an external email I get the following error :
    Also when I edit apache2.conf and add the following line :
    then on restarting apache I get :
    Thanks for your time!

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your mail log?

You don't need to edit apache2.conf if you follow the instructions I posted. Please undo your changes to apache2.conf and restart Apache.

6. saco721

Hey Falko, thank you for your time!

I have made the changes as you suggested, and have managed to get external incoming mails ok, how ever I still get :

when trying to send external emails.

I have also checked the mail log and it is empty.

Perhaps my squirrelmail server settings are incorrect, I have used the following settings there :

Is this correct? What else can I try? - many thanks!

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are 2 options:

a) The imap and smtp server name in squirrelmail has to be 'localhost' and not the name of your server. Then squirrelmail send trogh the local installed postfix instance.

b) If you want that squirrelmail send trough your mail server in a multiserver setup, then add the IP address of the webserver to the mynetworks setting in postfix on the mailserver and restart postfix. As alternative if you dont want to allow relaying from your webserver, you can set a smtp username and password in squirrelmail for sending emails.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. saco721

Hi Till,

thanks for your response.

I decided to try the first option first, my server settings are now :

I do however get the following message in squirrel mail when trying to login :
    Thank you very much for your help

9. till

Please set only the smtp server to localhost and restore the original hostname of the imap server as the imap server is your mailserevr. Sorry, messed that up in my description above. imap and smtp localhost is only used on single server setups.

10. saco721

Hey Till,

I can now login to squirrelmail, and there are no error messages when sending mail, but mail never arrives.

I noticed that in one of the previous posts you mentioned squirrelmail sending mail using
    the local installed postfix instance. Does this mean I should have postfix installed on my webserver?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  11. till

Do you get an error messag in /var/log/mail.log when you send the email?

12. saco721

Hi Till,

I noticed that in one of the previous posts you mentioned squirrelmail sending mail using the local installed postfix instance. Does this mean I should have postfix installed on my webserver?

I have checked my mail.log and the last entry is :
    many thanks

13. till

Thats ok, it means postfix is installed. Please send again and check which lines get added to the mail.log file on the web server (not mail server).

14. saco721

Hi Till,

The mail log I posted was from my mail server not my webserver, the log on my web server is empty.

I know postfix is installed on my mail server, but not on the webserver. Should I install it?

15. till

Normally a minimal postfix should be installed on the webserver, otherwise most cms systems will not work as they can not send login details, contact forms and password reminders.

Its up to you if you want to install a local mta on the webserver. If not, you might have to use the other option for squirrelmail that I described above.

16. saco721

Hi Till,

Just wanted to let you know that my email problem has been resolved using the localhost solution you advised me to try. Just installed posfix on my webserver and it worked.

I also want to say thanks very much for all the help you have given me.

Congratulations on an exceptional piece of software.

Best wishes,

Saco