Webalizer stats encoding

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SupuS, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. SupuS

    SupuS HowtoForge Supporter

    Hi All

    I have problem with pages generated by webalizer. I cannot figure it to right encoding seting. On my Ubuntu Dapper I have set cs_CZ.utf8 as system locale and I put:

    HTMLHead <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html" charset="utf-8">
    to /etc/webalizer.conf but without success .. the better what I reached was bad special czech chars (žčůř) with utf-8. With iso-8859-2 (czech iso encoding) it was worse than utf-8. It look like the used font is not able show special chars but if I change it in FF webdewelop html edit to arial for example it is same ... Where I can set default encoding for webalizer? In webalizer.conf I didn't find any useful.

    Any idea?

  2. till

    till Super Moderator

    /etc/webalizer.conf is not used by ISPConfig.

    Please edit the file:

  3. SupuS

    SupuS HowtoForge Supporter

    So I changed /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/webalizer.conf too and the problem remains ... In source code of stat page are directives from both conf files .. from /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/webalizer.conf and /etc/webalizer.conf anyway ... Unfortunately I cannot play more with it because I have to wait for reload whole day :(

    I don't know if this problem is realy with webalizer .. maybe is something wrong in my system locale setting ... but webalizer stats is in czech .. only special chars are missing ... I have no idea how to fix it :confused:
  4. falko

    falko Super Moderator

  5. SupuS

    SupuS HowtoForge Supporter

    My apache configuration seems right .. Every other pages on my server are in utf-8 charset encoding and without encoding problems .. uff .. ubuntu makes me mad ... unfortunately I cannot get up ISPConfig on my gentoo :(
  6. falko

    falko Super Moderator

    Did you compare the <head></head> section of your working and the non-working pages?
  7. SupuS

    SupuS HowtoForge Supporter

    Yes .. this problem is somewhere in system .. I have problem with charset encoding in console too .. National specific chars are not displayed corectly .. I have to switch to another encoding by export LANG if I need work with vim for example .. Before upgrade in previous version of ubuntu console was ok .. unfortunately I dont't know if stats were ok too .. New system seems to have problem with cs_CZ.utf8 encoding ..
    Second thing why I think it is system problem - If I switch another charset display in konqueror display menu I am not able to find correct encoding for stat page ... here is what I found on the net:

    but without solution .. :( Ubuntu comunity is not so great as gentoo .. I cannot find solution on their forum ..
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  8. falko

    falko Super Moderator

    You can set and export LANG in /etc/profile. You need then to log out and in again so that it can work.
  9. SupuS

    SupuS HowtoForge Supporter

    I know what to do if I want change system encoding .. this directives is in /etc/enviroment. Locale what I need is cs_CZ.UTF-8 and I have it set but it doesn't work as it should. It affect me only .. it is not so horrible but I need webstats in czech for users. They don't like strange chars on page :)
  10. Ark74

    Ark74 New Member


    The error was simple:
    Edit webalizer.conf but instead of add,
    HTMLHead <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html" charset="utf-8">
    it is;
    HTMLHead <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
    And you are all set. It worked for me :)

Share This Page