Wants and Needs! How to build this idea.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by happz, Mar 7, 2009.

1. happz

happz New Member

Hello all. Here is what I want to accomplish and my time frame is 12 to 24 months to prefect. I want build a Linux server(s) with a massive amount of hard drive space and RAM so that I can provide VPS to clients to run their own virtual servers-resell accounts. I need to know the best hardware i.e. server (dell(s) maybe?) and technology to use. My scope on this project is to first build this on a small scale and then take it up a notch. Small meaning on a dsl line. I would also need to know best practice for backups and high availability.

thanks,
    happz

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Regarding the hardware, all recent double- or quad-core processors with enough RAM (6 or (GB) should be fine.

Regarding the backups: I think I'd use rsync for files and this tutorial for MySQL: http://www.howtoforge.com/back_up_mysql_dbs_without_interruptions

Regarding High-Availability: Take a look at the heartbeat/keepalived/Wackamole tutorials in the High-Availability category.

3. happz

happz New Member

Thank you!

Good info...

Thanks Falko!

HappZ :D

4. id10t

id10t Member

I'd look at how linode.com does things - they have a customized UML set up (you could do the same with xen, virtualbox, etc as well) and they sell virtual machines. Once you have a vm, you install whatever distro and packages you want - you have full control.

I'd look at doing something like this, and having an image set up that basically serves up ISPConfig...

5. happz

happz New Member

Hey..good info

I will take a look. It's sounds like what I am after. Thanks!

happz

: vps