Virtual Server- one server?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by idsinc, Jan 24, 2011.

1. idsinc

idsinc New Member

If I am running only one server, is there a reason to use a virtual server application?

The reason I'm asking is I wondered if I need this for ubuntu 10.10 web server.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Virtual servers have some advantages, for example you can simply move them to a new server (you don't have to set up the virtual machine from scratch as you'd have to do with a physical server), and it's easier to do backups - you can simply back up the whole virtual machine.

Not if you don't use virtualization; only on OpenVZ hosts.
  3. idsinc

idsinc New Member

When I tried to run this i came up with errors.

It hung up on "vzctl set $VPSID --capability ${CAP}: on --save" because I had to install vzctl... was that file suppose to have been installed during the tutorial, prior to this section? I couldn't tell what all was being installed to tell the truth.

Once I installed it and tried to re-run everything... it said it failed. I think this was the PM I sent, and don't have a copy in my sent file.... Now I don't remember the exact fail notice language... it's in the PM.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you dont run a openvz system as the vzctl command was missing, so you dont need to execute these commands. Running them on a non virtual server host will cause the errors you posted above. So just dont execute these commands, as they are not nescessary for your server.
  5. idsinc

idsinc New Member

This was a fresh install, so I wasn't thinking the installation was for an existing system... I'm pretty new at all this :eek: <my narrow view>

Thanx for the feedback... it's always appreciated.