Vhost vs Site Location

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CTS_AE, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CTS_AE

CTS_AE New Member

Whenever I create a site the site gets created in a different location than what's defined in the vhost file for example: http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=3305

My recent system is set up like so, or it might have defaulted back after a system restart to:

vhost /etc/nginx/sites-available/domainName.com.vhost points to:

I agree that's how it should be, but the actual site is being stored at:

If I navigate to /var/www/domainName.com/
    the only thing in there is a symlink to web# which points to the above:

There is no www folder in the /var/www/domainName.com

This is the setup I went with, hopefully I did everything, I'm sure I skipped a few optional steps:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

/var/www/domainName.com is a symlink to /var/www/clients/client#/web#. So both locations point to the same folder.
  3. CTS_AE

CTS_AE New Member

Interesting, I see that for the new site I created, but it seems that if you create a site by the same name as the server's default name it will not be a symlink?

I have two servers, this is the second one (cloned from the first), I ended up deleting bolstats.tk from it.
    It has a broken symlink in it

Here's the original, bolstats still exists on it.

So how exactly is this set up to work when you create a site by the same name as the server name? I can't remember the structure before I created the site. But it sounds like I can just create a symlink and that should fix the issue.

Thanks for letting me know how it is supposed to be set up, this definitely helps because I have two conflicting things and didn't know which was the correct way.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The servers default name has to be a subdomain like server.yourdomain.tld as described in the perfect server installation guides. You can not use just yourdomain.tld as web and email services will not work for that domain then.