user's sieve rules dissapear

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by George A., Jan 26, 2018.

1. George A.

George A. New Member

Hi,
    First off, I'm new here, so I must say a BIG thank you for ISPconfig devs and to 'the perfect server' writers.

Issue:
    I added sieve rules when first installed (mainly spam related)
    I created email accounts, then, in roundcube, added some more rules.
    Went back to ispconfig and added another spam rule, which was added, but all my custom rules were deleted.

Possible solution (that doesn't work):
    I can create a new 'filter set', but when I activate it, it disables the ispconfig one (including the spam rules).

Is there a way to get both sieve rule sets working? Or is there a way ISPconfig could ADD to the existing rules and not overwrite them?
    I have no idea if this is a bug or not, so please help.
    Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Where and how did you add custom rules?

3. George A.

George A. New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. It took me this long to double check what I did.
    So, here are the steps to reproduce the bug:
    1*. (not sure if it makes a difference, can't test) setup sieve and have the default spam rules with ISPconfig
    2. add some sieve rules from Roundcube (to the ISPconfig rule set, as creating a new one pauses the ISPconfig default - one - which contains the default spam filters)
    3. in ISPconfig > email > mailbox> spam filter > add new filter > save
    4. check again in roundcube, all custom filters are gone, and only the old and the just added filters from ISPconfig remain.

4. till

Might be a problem in the way roundcube handles the rules. the roundcube plugin is not developed by us. ISPConfig itself handles the rules by marking their start and end with a comment marker and only changes the code in between when a specific rule is edited, so custom rules are not changed by ISPConfig. If RoundCube is not able to handle the rules in that way, then you might loose rules.

5. George A.

George A. New Member

Thank you,
    I'll contact the roundcube devs about this issue.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. till

The rules are stored in the ISPConfig database. You can see them in ISPConfig by clicking on the custom rules tab of the mailbox. The content of the custom rules field is then written to the .sieve file of the mailbox.

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member

I believe roundcube talks to the managesieve daemon, which will edit the sieve rules files directly, it does not store anything in the database. (sieve support is part of roundcube, not part of the ISPConfig integration plugins)