Upgrading Debian 8 (Jessie) to Debian 10 (Buster)

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by curiousadmin, Oct 10, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

1. curiousadmin

curiousadmin New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello Team,
    I was wondering if there are any special considerations for upgrade from Debian 8 to Debian 10 as Debian 8 is soon end of life (June 30, 2020).
    The reason I'm asking is there is a very different version of PHP 7.x (vs 5.6) which AFAIK is not backwards compatible therefore the websites need to be PHP 7 ready (that's obvious) - but what about ISPConfig itself?

I did run search and found this. But AFAIK in that case the PHP was just minor upgrade from 7 to 8 and also the Debian upgrade was just 1 version up while I would prefer to skip version 9 completely.

I installed the Debian 8 using your tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian 8.4 Jessie (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3.1)" - nothing extra or fancy. I did not install the optional XMPP

Thank you all in advance.

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can install PHP 5.6 as additional PHP Version in buster using the sury repository: https://packages.sury.org/php/README.txt
    ISPConfig is fully compatible to buster. There might be some things that you need to reconfigure after you upgrade and at least the mysql/mariadb version will be more strict in query handling.
    Just make sure that after upgrading debian you upgrade ISPConfig, too. During upgrade you need to answer yes to reconfigure services.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

ispconfig is compatible with debian 10.
    i would upgrade the server to stretch and afterwards to buster, run the perfect setup from howtoforge for buster, update ispconfig with "reconfigure services" and adjust the php-settings in ispconfig.
    if one of your sites is not working with php 7.3 (default on buster), you can install additional php-versions.

elmacus likes this.
  4. curiousadmin

curiousadmin New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Great - thank you both of you.

I gave it some more thought and the upgrade from Debian 8 to 9 and then 9 to 10 makes more sense - definitely safer.