upgrade 2.2.16 -> 2.2.22 PTR problem (Bugs?)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jmroth, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. jmroth

    jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Hi there,
    I have upgraded from version 2.2.16 to 2.2.22. Now I have a problem with DNS.

    I have defined several records for one domain/zone which I use as IP "shortcuts", i.e. which resolve to IPs not under my control, for example backup.mydomain.com which resolves to the backup server of my ISP.

    The first problem now is, for each of those IPs a reverse zone is created, which makes no sense. As a consequence (or as an additional bug) the entries in those files are not correct either: while the forward declaration is "bla.mydomain.com" the PTR entry is generated as "bla.one-of-my-other-domains.com".

    Maybe one should simply not generate reverse zones for IPs that ISPConfig is not responsible for.

    The second thing is, I have one hostname which resolves to, for that it creates a second reference to 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa in named.conf, which effectively breaks the BIND configuration, as the named.conf.master already contains a static entry for the loopback interface at the top. Bind does not start with two entries for the same zone.

    Best regards,
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    The creation of the PTR records that ISPConfig does is correct in my opinion and it fixes a bug in pror versions were the ptr records had not been created for the A-Records correctly.

    To your second problem, either remove the static configuration for from your named.conf or dont configure the A record for the IP in ISPConfig.
  3. jmroth

    jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Well everything is wrong, but if you say so...

    I figured that out by myself already :p
    Although I don't think it's a real solution. :(
  4. the_spy

    the_spy New Member

    same problem here.

    I have for example 2 domains, say domain1.com and domain2.com

    on domain1.com , I have configured home1.domain1.com in the DNS which have my fixed IP at home.

    but ispconfig create an arpa file in Bind, with a PTR of my home IP with the wrong reverse home1.domain2.com (instead of home1.domain1.com)

    appart creating a PTR of an IP which is not really usefull and may cause problem in some other applications (like SSH which now does not really like the wrong reverse of my home IP and says in the log "possible break-in attempt") , it should at least put the "right PTR" home1.domain1.com and not home1.domain2.com

    for now, since I'm not using PTR actually, I have deactivated the "reverse" bloc in the named.conf customised template to avoid these problems.
  5. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    I've added this to the bugtracker.
  6. jmroth

    jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Hmmm ok, I can register for the bugtracker but not post any comments :-\
    Here we go then:

    Concerning the "Bugfix for PTR records: only one PTR record per IP address; PTR zones are now created correctly" (ISPC 2.2.22). Where was this initial bugfix discussed, I would like to look that up?

    I can elaborate more on this BTW.

    I have a zone/domain called "blubbi.com" in ISPConfig (both as a web and in DNS).
    (The domain does not actually exist/is not mine, it is just for internal testing.)

    Now it generates the following PTR records:

    /etc/bind# grep blubbi * | grep PTR
    pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa:1 PTR mysql.blubbi.com.
    pri.239.239.213.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR sm.blubbi.com.
    pri.245.135.213.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR mde.blubbi.com.
    pri.42.198.88.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR hb.blubbi.com.
    pri.43.46.78.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR mark5.blubbi.com.
    pri.44.198.88.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR a.ns.blubbi.com.
    pri.54.11.217.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR m1.blubbi.com.
    pri.54.11.217.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR m2.blubbi.com.
    pri.54.11.217.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR m3.blubbi.com.
    pri.54.11.217.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR m4.blubbi.com.
    pri.64.186.195.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR old.blubbi.com.
    pri.88.177.195.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR blubbi.com.
    pri.90.177.195.in-addr.arpa:xx PTR cs.blubbi.com.

    1) My DNS is not authoritative for those networks: only generate (correct) records when the IP of the corresponding A record is also listed in Management->Server->Settings.

    If you do that maybe you don't even need the second point (which also does not matter if the initial bugfix had only fixed the bug of "only one PTR record per IP address"):

    2) Those are all hosts that I have configured A records for, but NOT in the domain blubbi.com! (except for the root of the domain "blubbi.com." itself of course) I do not know why it chooses blubbi.com!
  7. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    I've completely rewritten the PTR part. Instead of having ISPConfig create the PTR records automatically, there's now a web form (similar to the slave records) where you can define PTR records one by one. This should fix all the problems. :)

Share This Page