Update from Debian 10 to 11 Fail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mike Hosken, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Mike Hosken

Mike Hosken New Member

Hi everyone I’ve upgraded my server from buster to bullseye Debian 10 to 11. I used apt-get dist-upgrade and it broke everything from php and Maria. I fixed most of it but smtp doesn’t work.

I kind of need perfect server for Debian 11
    Can someone please update Deb 11 as the Deb 10 leads to the same problem. I have no smtp. When trying the perfect server on Deb 11. I can’t use the script on some of my machines as packages don’t exist and need to be compiled.
    I would need to reinstall at least 3 servers with buster. To do this would cost me a lot of time and money as they are colo machines.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I do not understand that sentence.
    Did you do the Debian upgrade following instructions from Debian 11 Release Notes? https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/releasenotes
    Following those leads to successfull upgrade.
    After the Debian upgrade has finnished succesfully and rebooting to the upgraded system, you need to follow Perfect Server Guide for Debian 11, which is not published yet so you are kind of screwed. I am postponing upgrades to Debian 11 until Debian 11.1 or 11.2 point release is published, and on ISPConfig systems until Perfect Server Guide exists for Debian 11.
    What would have worked is to install new ISPConfig system using the automatic installation script published by ISPConfig and then use migrate tool to migrate data from the old system to new.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I updated a mail server yesterday, other than the Debian update, I had to install some needed php packages (basically the set from the Debian 10 guide, just change the names from 7.3 to 7.4, though there are a couple packages which don't exist) and fix permissions on the amavis conf.d directory/files as described in another post or the issue tracker. Run the ispconfig updater after you're done to reconfigure services. All in all it went pretty well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021