Unlocking website options that were set by an Administrator

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cbj4074, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Formulating a concise search query for this question proved difficult, so I apologize if this has been addressed before.

To quote one of Till's comments on the bugtracker:

Is there any means by which to reverse this process?

In other words, if I create a website while logged in as an Administrator, and later decide that I want the client to be able to change all aspects of the site, is there any way to "pass control back to the client"?

Is this "administrator locking" behavior controlled only by the `web_domain`.`sys_userid` value in the database?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, it does not depend on sys userid. See diferences in the perm columns.

3. cbj4074

Thanks for the reply, Till.

Would it be correct to state that the following will have the same effect as if the limited user (client) had created the website himself initially?

a.) Set the `sys_userid` to the client's user ID.

b.) Use the value "riud" in `sys_perm_user` and `sys_perm_group`.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A) no, not nescessary. This id does not matter for this task as it indicates just which user originally created the record.

B) yes.

5. cbj4074

Excellent, thank you.

So, if I were going to write a SQL query that "repairs permissions" (that is, sets all permissions as though the user had done everything under his own account), I could just iterate over the relevant DB tables and change those permission values?

Are there any "gotchas" of which to be aware should such a task be undertaken?