Trying to replace windows DNS with perfect server setup/BIND DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by m.johns, Jul 14, 2012.

1. m.johns

m.johns New Member

I have tried to load a perfect server about 10 times now as a test and have yet to get it to resolve for any computers trying to use it as a DNS server. I have followed the steps multiple times and can get ti to resolve any domains I add to it with ispconfig3 with out issues.

This last test I took down my windows DNS server and loaded another test server with the same name and ip as my windows DNS server thinking it might be something to do with that being my primary DNS. I still had no success with getting any computer that has that DNS server on it to resolve anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. commentator

commentator New Member

if you run dhcpserver from the samebox and/or tell your dhcpserver to send the dnsserver on dhcprequest it works very well ;)

Code:
    option domain-name-servers      192.168.0.1;

3. commentator

commentator New Member

also:
    maybe you need to tell bind that it's allowed to query from the local network:
    Code:
    query-source address * ;
    recursion yes;

version "REFUSED";

allow-recursion {
    127.0/8;
    192.168.0.0/24;
    };

allow-query {
    127.0/8;
    192.168.0.0/24;
    };

4. m.johns

m.johns New Member

allowing the query is probably my problem. not the dhcp. I had put the dns in the name server on the workstation manually, thank you. My first time dealing with a bind dns.