Tip if your SpamAssassin DNS Blacklist tests timeout

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by billcouper81, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. billcouper81

    billcouper81 New Member

    I was pulling my hair out over this one for a good half a day, reading and re-reading configuration file options at the spamassassin wiki

    My problem was that 99 times out of 100, all of the dns blacklist tests were failing with a timeout error.. increasing the timeout to 90 seconds didn't help either... strangely, sometimes one or two of the tests would succeed

    Mail::SpamAssassin::plugin::DNS only uses the first nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf BUT setting it to anything other than localhost results in failed tests... I tried all of my nameservers seperately, as the first nameserver in the resolv.conf file, but always it was failing for me with timeout errors... yet if I did a DIG using my specified nameserver the response was returned very quickly, so it was baffling to say the least...

    Set your first nameserver to

    Once I made this change every check is running successfully and in less than 1 second

Share This Page