Symlink 'clients' to a mounted volume

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by wwweiss, Nov 16, 2020.

1. wwweiss

wwweiss New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a typical install of ISPConfig on Ubuntu 20.04. It is a cloud server with limited diskspace. But I can add "volumes" which I can increase up to 10 TB. I had one Website running before I added the volume. So I had /var/www/clients/client1/web1 for the website.
    The volume is mounted to /mnt/my_space
    I copied /var/www/clients to /mnt/my_space/clients (with rsync -a), renamed the original /var/www/clients to ....clients_orig and set a symlink "clients" pointing to the /mnt/my_space/clients. Everything was done while apache was stopped.
    The existing website is running with no problems, but if I create a new website in ISPConfig, the folder /var/www/client1/web3 is not created.
    cron.log shows:
    Can you tell me, if using a symlink is not possible in this constellation? How can I get this working, so that all client-data are placed on the volume?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You could just mount your extra volume right at /var/www, or if you like it where it is, use a bind mount instead of a symlink to have the files accessible.

ahrasis and wwweiss like this.
  3. wwweiss

wwweiss New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you very much. "bind mount" was the solution. Everything is working now.
    I added an entry to fstab with same parameters like ispconfig adds the bind mounts for the log directories.
    Great support :)

Th0m likes this.