Submission Ports for Postfix Mail Server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by sj200449, Oct 18, 2011.

1. sj200449

sj200449 New Member

[SOLVED] Submission Ports for Postfix Mail Server

For "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (CentOS 6.0 x86_64)"

which submission port should I use when sending from outside my network but not using the Squirrelmail tool? I tried 587 and couldnt connect and I tried 465 but didnt think it set up wrapper_mode (which I dont really want anyway) and couldnt connect. I try 25 simply and it works. Im confused.

587 and 25 are open in my firewall btw on my router using port forwarding/triggering.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

port 25 is the default smtp port, so thats the one which is normally used to send emails. other ports are only used in case that port 25 is blocked by your internet access provider.

3. sj200449

sj200449 New Member

That's what I thought , however was under the impression that one could use 587/465 even if 25 was not blocked. In fact I thought it was preferred to use 587 for authenticated sending of email, and that 25 was merely left open for non-authenticated mail coming in from an outside source to be delivered to one of your users. Evidently my ISP does not block port 25.

Would someone be able to clarify please or direct me to where I can read the correct normal transport and the config in postfix/courier that shows what it is listening on? Im not sure about interpreting "netstat -tap" output alas.

Thanks,

Stephen.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

By default, postfix listens only on port 25. So thats the normal transport. If you want to use other ports beside 25, then you can enable them in postfix master.cf file. E.g. the submission port by removing th # in front of the line.

5. sj200449

sj200449 New Member

[SOLVED]Submission Ports for Postfix Mail Server

Aah that makes sense, I remember in one of my other experiments editting that for wrapper mode et al. So 587/465 is _not_ necessary when ISP allow port 25 through.

Thank you for your assistance.