Spamassasin losing the battle. . .

Discussion in 'General' started by KenKnight, Oct 31, 2006.

  1. KenKnight

    KenKnight Member

    Hi all,

    As each day goes by it seems like spamassasin is not catching near the spam it used to. I'm seeing 40 to 50 every few hours get past spamassasin, whereas when I first installed the server I would go a day or so without seeing more than 3-4 spam emails. This not include the ones that get tagged as ***SPAM***.

    The only thing I've done is turn on the Mailscan function due to the fact it was screwing with attachments. Does this function also play a role in catching spam? I thought it was mainly for catching viruses.

  2. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

  3. KenKnight

    KenKnight Member

    Thanks Falko,

    that does clear up MailScan.

    Any suggestions on how to reduce the spam again like it used to be?

  4. fobicodam

    fobicodam ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    What number do you have on "Spam hits"? try a lower number
  5. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Do you have DCC installed? Spamassassin will use it automatically, if it is found on your server.
  6. sjau

    sjau Local Meanie Moderator

    and are bayes enabled on your box?
  7. KenKnight

    KenKnight Member

    Hi all,

    fobicodam; its currently set to 5.0 which was working until a month or so ago.

    till; I have the debian-sarge 3.1 setup, so I'm assuming it is, however, let me know what to check and I'll report back.

    sjau; not sure, how do I check?

    if I try to execute the sa-update, this is the error message I get;
    Can't locate Archive/ in @INC (@INC contains: /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/usr/share/perl/5.8.4 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at ./sa-update line 81.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./sa-update line 81.

    I'm not sure how relevant that is, but maybe it'll help. Also I checked some messages headers of spam that was making it through and here are the headers;

    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.1.3 (2006-06-01) on
    X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.0 required=5.0 tests=ADVANCE_FEE_1
    autolearn=unavailable version=3.1.3
    X-Original-To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Delivered-To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Received: from ( [])
    by (Postfix) with ESMTP id C98E46B0006
    for <[email protected]>; Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:12:51 -0500 (EST)
    Received: from (HELO
    by with esmtp (YY4PLLNUBNSJ 21470)
    id NE0MUP-1NOWP2-2D
    for [email protected]; Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:12:53 -0060
    From: "Jean Velasquez" <[email protected]>
    To: <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Jean here :)
    Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:12:53 -0060
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4963.1700
    Thread-Index: Aca6QKJ0H6HI07XZKRC4YSHMX9N1I5==
    X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0646-1, 07.11.2006), Outbound message
    X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
    X-Virus-Status: No
    X-Virus-Checker-Version: clamassassin 1.2.3 with clamscan / ClamAV 0.88.4/2172/Tue Nov 7 09:04:48 2006

  8. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    It looks like the Archive/ is missing. Please run:

    apt-get install libarchive-tar-perl

Share This Page