SPAM & Postfix on a WWW server.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SamTzu, Apr 20, 2013.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all.

Old Joomla sites are causing me a lot of headaches.
    We have denied direct emails from websites to internet but that just means that thousands of (SPAM) emails get stuck in the www server's mail que's because the sites are leaking like a sieve.

netstat -tapn example..

Now since /smtp can not connect to out of the server without username and password these get stuck in the que.
    Currently the que is only for 1 day but soon we are forced to lower that to just a few hours.
    I was wondering if you have figured out a way to "limit" how many emails a "site" can send per/hour or maybe disable email entirely from some sites.
    Our WWW servers have Postfix installed but it is only allowed to send email not receive any external mail.

(PS. If you know how to disable all those useless Postfix delivery error messages let me know :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. almere

almere Member HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

It is possible to limit e-mails for user per hour (or day) in postfix.

3. SamTzu

How can you limit it?

4. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

You acn do that with e.g. policyd:

http://wiki.policyd.org/quotas

REgarding the original problem with old joomla installs, have you tried to use apache mod_security on that server. It can block most of the attacks against old / unpatched cms systems.

5. SamTzu

Thx 4 the tip Till. I did try mod_sec a while back but found it difficult to control. Maybe I will give it another shot soon.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent a website accessing SMTP?
    Maybe with a "Apache Directives" or "Custom php.ini settings"