SMTPAuth, Google Mail (GMail), and ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jluros, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jluros

jluros New Member

I run a server with DNS (bind9), mail (postfix), and web (apache) services. I used the ISPConfig "Perfect Server" tutorials and installed ISPConfig 3. Everything works fine, for the most part. However, because I send and receive mail using Gmail, my emails say "On behalf of" my gmail address. The email addresses I use with Gmail are forwarded using ISPConfig 3's forwarding feature. I'd like to set up a way to use my server as the SMTP server for the mail that I store on Gmail. However, I'm having some trouble getting the SMTPAuth to work properly.

When I try to test an account with a known password by telneting to port 587 on my server, I get the following exchange:

Connected to mydomain.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
    ehlo my.host
    250-mail.mydomain.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 20480000
    250-VRFY
    250-ETRN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 DSN
    STARTTLS
    220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
    PASSWORD GOES HERE

In my mail log, I get:

warning: TLS library problem: 25352:error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_srvr.c:578:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The reason for the error message is the way you test the connection. You use tls encryption but a test with telnet is always not tls encrypted and for that reason, you get the error message in the log file. If you want to test smtp-auth, either use telnet on port 25 so that its not tls encrypted or use a tls capable smtp client like thunderbird on port 587 instead of telnet command for the test.