Setup backup for sites

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Daninor, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Daninor

Daninor New Member

Hello,

I am trying to setup backup for my sites. And I want to backup to a mount. What is the best method for this? My backup system supports SFTP, FTPS, RSYNC, SCP.
    And how do I connect it with ISPconfig?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

According to ISPConfig Manual version 3.1 page 137, website backups by default go to directory /var/backup. The directory can be altered, manual tells how.
    So mount your backup disk on /var/backup.

3. Daninor

Daninor New Member

I got the manual. But it does not say how to mount to that folder. Do I have to install for example sshfs, or is there a service that come with ISPconfig? If so which one?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    linux mount sshfs
    If you want to restrict the search to this forum, use
    Code:
    linux mount sshfs site:howtoforge.com
    Also read the man page for command mount:
    Code:
    man mount
    There is lots of instructions all around the Internet on how to mount stuff in various methods.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you always want /var/backup mounted, you could just add an entry to /etc/fstab. If it suits your needs better, you can create a /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/backup_dir_mount.sh script which will be called prior to creating backups, and create a /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/backup_dir_umount.sh which will be called afterwards (search the forums here for examples if needed). You only need to install sshfs if you use sshfs (eg. I believe I have posted an example backup script which uses sshfs+encfs in the past, if that's what you're wanting), but the custom scripts you write can use whatever tools are needed to get /var/backup setup to create and access backup files.

6. Daninor

Daninor New Member

Thanks alot for your reply. I am struggling finding a script. I only found this one, but it uses sshfs:
    https://schaal-it.com/ispconfig-backup-space/

Could you post one you know about so I have an idea how it should look?

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer