Server Application Software + ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by Ark74, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ark74

Ark74 New Member

Hi again boys and girls!,
    Well, i'd like to ask a little about something that i haven't been able to figure it out.

ISPConfig has multiple features, and should be enough to handle most websites, but when we talk about server applications, can this be achieved with ISPConfig?

Let's say, Odoo.
    A python server application, can a site using Odoo be managed with ISPConfig?
    Taking in account that:
    • Runs on port 8069
    • Uses PostgreSQL
    • Requires Reverse Proxy to serve SSL
    Another case could be GitLab, IIRC, Gitlab is written on Ruby, is it possible?
    I've learned how to run ownCloud successfully, but since ownCloud is a purely PHP+MySQL software it's not really that hard.

So i wonder, are there limitations to what kind of software can be managed by ISPConfig?
    Which would be the preferred way to decide about the hosting approach to use?

Thanks for the advice and time, i'm still on my learning path.
    Please if i'm out of place asking this here, please let me know.
    GoBo likes this.
  2. GoBo

GoBo New Member

This is my small "How to install Odoo in ISPConfig" howto, at least it works for install Odoo in a Debian based ISPConfig install.
    • Install Postgresql in the server
    • Create a website in IspConfig (
    • Configure a Apache reverse proxy in IspConfig Panel by adding the following lines in web domain configutarion in
      Web Domain->Options->Apache Directives
      ProxyPreserveHost On
      ProxyPass /
      ProxyPassReverse /
    • Create a Shell user for de website
    • Login with the shell user of the website using ssh
    • Follow the install from source install instructions in Odoo documentation. Be carefull and notice that several steps must be run as root (as install Python dependencies).
    • Go to (Note that there is no port added to the URL) and finish the deploy.
    If you have any problem following this steeps, let me know. I'm used several Apache reverse proxy for different Apps like Gogs
    nut, Ark74 and till like this.
  3. Ark74

Ark74 New Member

No need to install the server for every shell user. (I haven't use that approach).
    I'm using one install with databases filtering according to the domain so one site per db, and it works just fine ;)
    I've tried using proxypass before but it didn't work, or maybe i was doing it incorrectly :'(

Any how, thank you so much \o/!
    nut likes this.
  4. nut

nut New Member

Hi Ark74,
    Have installed odoo it is running on

Now proxy works with configuration, see below.
    How did you link odoo to a subdomain like and/or with ISPConfig?
    Database filtering, one site and db, same proxy configuration?!
    How to configure Database filtering?

I had to use this Proxy configuration in Web Domain->Options->Apache Directives:
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyRequests Off
    <Proxy *>
       Order deny,allow
       Allow from all
    ProxyPass /
    ProxyPassReverse /

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM
  5. GoBo

GoBo New Member

I doesn't use multi enterprise support in Odoo because every customer have Its Odoo installation customized in several ways. Every Odoo deployment have It's own subdomain and runs on a custom port for the reverse proxy configuration. Every shell user has It's own Postgres database user and It's owns databases (and only show Its own databases). In Debian I get this using this command:
    $ sudo su - postgres -c "createuser -s $USER"
    I only use database filtering to hide users testing and development databases. I hope It's clear enough.
  6. Ark74

Ark74 New Member

Yeah, data filtering.
    Just enable it in your odoo-server.conf
    dbfilter = %h

Use - intead of point on the db names of the domain.
    (database) mysub-domain-com => (domain)

As GoBo said, for some heavy customization you might wanna use separate installations.
    Thank you guys!