Securing back end with Let's Encrypt - multiple aliases [Previously: StartSSL query]

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by FactionOne, Jun 20, 2017.

1. FactionOne

FactionOne Member

I'm given to expect that I always make a mess of things; and both because of and in spite of this I get the feeling the mess I have been making is not realising that intended use is to run twice, first to issue then to install?

Because I'm a bit compulsive about clean images, and I've done all sorts of dirty things to the installation I had, I'm going to restore my last image before trying again (I've got 4 duplicates left for the main domain's certificate issued via the panel integration so I figure it's worth it for 'cleanliness').

Hoping it is just a case of "it's easy when you know how" :) - thanks for your reply. I'll report back [hopefully without one of my waffle-posts].

Rob.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

3. FactionOne

FactionOne Member

Thanks! :)

I was in the midst of running with just --issue (and keylength, dns, domains) as your reply came in; and as I'm sure you expected, the certificate was generated flawlessly :) --- So yes, I had been making a mess of it by not identifying that issue and install was a two pass deal! :oops:

Anyway, I'm just about to do the --install-cert part, and I wonder if you would confirm my understanding that when installing the certificate, I only need specify one -d argument for the certificate's primary name, despite specifying other domains in the issue pass (in the install pass, it's more a filesystem location pointer than anything specific to the contents of the certificate)?

i.e. Where I specified:
    Code:
    -d alpha.mydomain.co.uk \
    -d ftp.mydomain.co.uk \
    -d mail.mydomain.co.uk \
    -d ns1.mydomain.co.uk \
    -d webmail.mydomain.co.uk \
    with --issue, I only need to supply -d alpha.mydomain.co.uk when using --install-cert?

Again, many and sincere thanks for your help.

Rob.

P.S. (I'm pretty broke at the moment, I'm embarrassed to say (though I guess running all this on 2x Raspberry Pi could be a clue!); but I solemnly promise to at least buy you a drink/pizza/similar via the donate page I saw in the wiki as soon as I can.)

4. sjau

if you request a cert for multiple domains, it will be stored just as 1 cert and it will be stored in the folder named after the first -d hostname domains.

E.g. if you run
    Code:
    -d domain.1.tld -d xxxdomain.tld -d 3rddomain.tld

then it will be stored in
    Code:
    ~/.acme.sh/domain.1.tld

so, for installation, you have have to provide the name of the first domainname used so that acme.sh knows which cert you want to install, in the above case:
    Code:
    amce.sh --install-cert -d domain.1.tld ....

So as for your question:

Yes, it's just --install-cert -d alpha.mydomain.co.uk

What wiki? No need to donate something.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    FactionOne likes this.
  5. FactionOne

FactionOne Member

Thanks, that's as I thought :)

Well, it's all working now...

ISPConfig panel LE integration secures:

mydomain.co.uk
    www.mydomain.co.uk

Your excellent (once I used it right!) acme.sh doing DNS-01 for:
    alpha.mydomain.co.uk
    ftp.mydomain.co.uk
    mail.mydomain.co.uk
    ns1.mydomain.co.uk [not really required, but it is an alias of the same machine, so why not]
    webmail.mydomain.co.uk

I've symlinked postfix/dovecot, and done the chain thing for pure-ftpd, and integrated that into my regen/restart script called by --reloadcmd.

Checked mydomain.co.uk in browser, all secure :)
    ISPConfig panel at alpha.mydomain.co.uk:8080, all secure :)
    FilezillaFTP received [as expected] a chain of two certificates from pure-ftpd - my public and the CA, TLS connected, no errors, all secure :)
    I haven't got an SMTP/POP client on my machine at the moment, so I'll check those later, but I reckon they'll be good too :)

Thanks very much for all your patient assistance! ...The server's just waiting a few minutes for a nice graceful shutdown so I can take an image :)

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. The wiki section of your github repo for acme.sh :) - and I will when I can!
    P.P.S. I might do a write-up of the whole shooting-match for Raspberry Pi, bare image, ISPConfig dependencies, ISPConfig setup, and securing everything with LE with certbot and acme.sh as I did; perhaps with optional steps for the secondary DNS server. - Maybe if I can't donate much that's a way to pass it on.

6. sjau

I did not create acme.sh. I just wrote the DNS plugin for ISPConfig

7. FactionOne

FactionOne Member

Ah! Another of my misunderstandings!

Still, thank you nonetheless (actually, more so!) for all your help.

Rob.

8. sjau

I like acme.sh becuase it's written in pure shell script... and it's rather "simple" code... :)