Same mail is downloaded multiple times in outlook

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pawan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. pawan

pawan Member HowtoForge Supporter

It happens many times that certain number of mails are being downloaded in MS Outlook multiple times from the server as a never ending process.

I can't find a solution on this. Need Help.

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you use fetchmail / getmail for this account?

3. pawan

In MS outlook I don't know of any setting like fetchmail /getmail.
    Where I should look for these settings.

Yes the account is configured as POP3 in MS outlook.

4. till

In ISPConfig under Mail > Fetchmail.

Please check in outlook that you havent activated a function to keep copies of the email on the server.

5. pawan

There is no account configured under Fetchmail in ISPCONFIG. (Fetch emails from external POP3 / IMAP servers).

Yes in outlook keep copies of email on server for 10days is selected. But the mails are being downloaded multiple times in the same place.

6. pawan

I want to add if it helps
    That this behavior of downloading multiple times is not regular. It happens randomly.

7. pawan

Till, did you find any problem with the above settings?

8. till

The settings above are ok. Maybe the problem occurs when ntp corrects the system time on your server or something like that

9. pawan

Ok, is it related to system time of the server.

Does the mails already downloaded are marked as already downloaded based on time and how I can overcome this problem?

There must be some solution for this as the client is complaining about this quite so often.

10. till

I said that this might be a ource of the problem and not that it is in your case.

This is implemented in the mail client and not the server, so you will have to contact microdoft if you like to know how they implemented it.

11. pawan

Thank you so much Till.

Now what I understand is that the issue of multiple download may be

1.an issue of system time on the server or
    2. There is some setting or some bug in outlook which is making outlook to download multiple times.

Now to rule out & be sure that the issue is related or not related to system time on the server where I should look for. Is there any log file created for system time synchronizing with the NTP server.

12. till

Stop the ntp daemon which syncs the system time with the external time servers. If the problem still occurs afterwads, then its not related to the system time.