Same linux users for each site

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by burg, Sep 3, 2013.

1. burg

burg New Member

Hello

With ISPConfig 3 is it possible to create all websites under the same user/group, and not to create the users web1 web2 etc for each site?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, thats not possible. Each site has its own user for security reasons.

3. burg

burg New Member

My problem is the following: if I add some files to the web directory of a website with another user (via samba, git or something else, giving rwx acl to that user before), I am not able to edit those files anymore using the ftp user for that website. One solution would have been to create all websites using the same user (and not web1 web2 etc) and use the same user for samba/git. But with this disabled, what do you suggest?

4. till

Add the websites with the correct user of the site. You can access the site by ftp and by ssh, so you can checkou files with the web user of the site with git or svn as well.

Using one user for all sites would be really insecure, even if you dont host multiple sites. If a attacker woul get access to one site, he would be able to infect all other sites of your server.

5. burg

burg New Member

Using that user for git might work.
    But it is really important to access all websites with one user with samba (that is actually a staging web server and I must have access to all websites).

Is this possible anyhow?

6. till

You can not access all websites with the same user without modifying the ispconfig sources.

7. burg

burg New Member

And I believe it is not an easy edit (config option), right?