relay_recipients issue with spamsnake on ubuntu 8.04

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by filfish, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Hi

    We've been running the perfect spamsnake for about 8 months on ubuntu 8.04 we're mostly happy with it excluding a couple of issues we're working on in another thread.

    We've been using the relay_recipients file with just the domain in
    @anydomain.com OK

    But have now sorted out the scheduling of exporting the 8000 email addresses from our exchange box over to the spamsnake, so I tried filing the relay recipients file with the 8000+ emails all with a space and OK at the end, ran postmap /etc/postfix/relay_recipients and even gave postfix a restart.

    even with that done we still see emails to <anyone>@anydomain.com getting through even though those email addresses are not in the relay_recipient file.

    Am i missing another step or using the wrong file even?

    cheers

    Phil
     
  2. Rocky

    Rocky New Member

    Stupid question but have you commented out @anydomain.com OK? If you didn't, that would be your reason why emails are still going through.
     
  3. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Yes, I renamed the original relay_recipients to relay_recipients.old then created a new file with all the emails in and did the postmap on the new file.

    Although I've not yet had a good look through the traffic this morning, as of midnight last night there was a significant drop in traffic, I'll try to look through to see any email addresses that shouldn't be there
     
  4. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Ok, having had a quick look through the recent messages, emails are still flowing to addresses not in my relay_recipients file, although it's not the end of the world it would be nice to tie this one down.

    Cheers
     
  5. Rocky

    Rocky New Member

    Hey,

    Make sure to delete the relay_recipients.db file also and then repostmap your new relay_recipients file so that it recreates the db file.

    Restart postfix and you should be good to go.
     
  6. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Well, I did as advised, deleted the relay_recipients.db file deleted all versions of my relay_recipients file to ensure I didn't use the wrong one, then added the 8200 email addresses to a new relay_recipients file, ran "postmap /etc/postfix/relay_recipents" restarted postfix and for good measure even restarted the server.

    After a few days of testing I can confirm that <[email protected]> still comes through, but oddly, it is only @mydomain.com that get through so it is filtering against the domain name, just not the full email address.
     
  7. Rocky

    Rocky New Member

    Please post your main.cf.

    The reason it's only allowing your domain to pass through is because it's defined in your relay_domains file.
     
  8. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Hi Rocky, Thanks

    Below is my main.cf as requested, i've swapped out my actual domain name for 'anydomain.com' and my IP for '123.456.789.0'

    I've noticed there is no reference in this file to a relay_recipients hash, i think this could be the problem!


    Main.cf -->

    # See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version


    # Debian specific: Specifying a file name will cause the first
    # line of that file to be used as the name. The Debian default
    # is /etc/mailname.
    #myorigin = /etc/mailname

    smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
    biff = no

    # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
    append_dot_mydomain = no

    # Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
    #delay_warning_time = 4h

    readme_directory = no

    # TLS parameters
    smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    smtpd_use_tls=yes
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
    smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache

    # See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
    # information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

    myhostname = mailgate.anydomain.com
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = anydomain.com
    mydestination =
    relayhost =
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 123.456.789.0/24
    message_size_limit = 20480000
    mailbox_size_limit =
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    local_transport = error:No local mail delivery
    local_recipient_maps =
    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
    check_recipient_access = hash:/etc/postfix/recv_access
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    relay_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_domains
    smtpd_helo_required = yes
    smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unknown_sender_domain
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination, check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:2525
    smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
    header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
     
  9. Rocky

    Rocky New Member

    You are correct and it confirms what I thought was the problem.

    Insert this into your main.cf:

    relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients or the name of your relay recipients file.

    Then reboot postfix and you should be good to go.
     
  10. filfish

    filfish New Member

    Thanks Rocky

    I believe that has sorted it, now all that's left is cleaning the database but more RAM should fix that one.

    Thanks again for the great spamsnake and your assistance getting it sorted.
     

Share This Page