Recent appearance of bizarre behavior when adding new domains

Discussion in 'General' started by catdude, Jan 2, 2008.

  1. catdude

    catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    We've been running ISPConfig quite smoothly for several months now, but in the last couple weeks I've noted a weird problem. When adding a new domain, the domain doesn't get sompletely added.

    Scenario: I want to add a new customer and a domain for that customer. In the admin interface I click "New client" and add the customer info (let's say I specify cloent "TestClient- Dan"). I then click "TestClient-Dan" in the clients list. I see that I've been assigned client number 3117. I click "Site Management", "New", and enter information for domain "", then save the info.

    I then cd into /etc/apache2/vhosts and perform "grep *" and I find an entry for this domain in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_02-01-08_08-43-10. It is NOT in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.

    "ls -alt" in /etc/apache2/vhosts produces:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360596 2008-01-02 08:43 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_02-01-08_08-43-10
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 357791 2008-01-02 08:43 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 359336 2007-12-31 15:47 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_31-12-07_15-47-35
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 359336 2007-12-31 15:45 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_31-12-07_15-45-50
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 359336 2007-12-31 15:45 Vhosts_ispconfig.conf_31-12-07_15-45-16

    An attempt to visit this web page produces the shared IP notice page.

    Shouldn't the domain add process leave me with an entry in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf? What I've been doing for the last couple weeks is manually editing Vhosts_ispconfig.conf to add the missing entries.

    The ISPConfig-created directories ARE getting created; that is, /its/isp/hosted/web3387 is there, there is a symlink from that dir to /its/isp/hosted/, and when I create an e-mail account I then find an appropriate directory under /its/isp/hosted/

    I first suspected that one of the other engineers here might have changed writeconf.php, but I see that it's still got a timestamp the same as the RCS file (last changed back in August) and an rcsdiff shows no changes.

    Could an alteration of a database setting lead to a problem of this sort?

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look to identify why this is happening?
  2. catdude

    catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Getting closer - Suexec issue

    This server was initially set up by someone else. I do recall that he installed suPHP, and I've not worked with that before.

    When I run "apache2 -t -f /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf" I get error messages complaining about the SuexecUserGroup lines. I suspect something has changed in my overall settings that is preventing the suexec module from loading, but I'm not sure. Still investigating that.
  3. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

  4. catdude

    catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Found it

    Thanks. That helped.

    Here's another way that can happen: I added some custom Apache directives to one of my domains, and I did so incorrectly. The improper directives caused Apache to error out, so when ISPConfig attempted to restart Apache it detected the error and reverted to a working older config file.

    Lesson learned: I need to always verify my custom Apache directives!

Share This Page