Question about mail address creation

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkBen, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DarkBen

DarkBen New Member

I use ISPConfig and I shall want to know if it is possible to have this kind of mail address :

user@subdomain.domain.tld

Thanks for your help and your great work ! ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator

Sure. Just create subdomain.domain.tld under Co-Domains.
    For example, if your website has the FQDNs www.example.com, example.com, subdomain.example.com, and you have a user testuser, then this user automatically has the email addresses testuser@www.example.com, testuser@example.com and testuser@subdomain.example.com.
    Have a look at /etc/postfix/virtusertable, and you'll understand.

3. DarkBen

DarkBen New Member

4. till

till Super Moderator

Yes, if subdomain.domain.tld and anothersubdomain.domain.tld belong to the same website.

But you can create a website for subdomain.domain.tld and another website for anothersubdomain.domain.tld and have an info@.. account for each of the websites.

5. DarkBen

DarkBen New Member

Ok i tested this case :

One site with www.domain.tld

One site subdomain.domain.tld

Another on anothersubdomain.domain.tld

I created a "test" user for each site.

When i send an email on test@subdomain.domain.tld, the user test@domain.tld (created on the www site) receives the message too. On the other hand test@anothersubdomain.domain.tld doesn't receive the message, and that is right :)

it means that a user created for the site domain.tld must be different of a user created for the site subdomain.domain.tld

What I made so that that works :

i destroyed domain alias created by default on my subdomain.domain.tld :

195.... ... ... ... domain.tld

Now when i send message to test@subdomain.domain.tld, the user test@webjalles.org doesn't receive this message.

That is right ?

6. till

till Super Moderator

Yes, thats right. If you create more then one web for a domain with different hosts, you have to delete co-domain (with empty host) on all additional websites.