Pure-ftpd not working after reinstall of some packages

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wouteronline55, Oct 25, 2013.

1. wouteronline55

wouteronline55 New Member

I have a very stable Ubuntu installation with ISPConfig3 and pure-ftpd. After reinstalling the package, it's not working anymore (all other things are).

I enabled the logging and when I try to log in, the following is posted:

Oct 25 20:23:49 server2 pure-ftpd: (?@myhost) [INFO] New connection from myhost
    Oct 25 20:23:49 server2 pure-ftpd: (?@myhost) [INFO] PAM_RHOST enabled. Getting the peer address
    Oct 25 20:23:55 server2 pure-ftpd: (?@myhost) [WARNING] Authentication failed for user [user_name]
    Oct 25 20:23:55 server2 pure-ftpd: (?@myhost) [INFO] Logout.

In the FTP program I'm getting:

Antwoord: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
    Antwoord: 220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
    Antwoord: 220-Local time is now 20:23. Server port: 21.
    Antwoord: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
    Antwoord: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Commando: USER user_name
    Antwoord: 331 User user_name OK. Password required
    Commando: PASS *******
    Antwoord: 530 Login authentication failed

I also changed password via ISPConfig and added new user. All didn't help.

I also looked ad mysql.conf and that all seems right (at least the credentials).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. wouteronline55

I checked all settings that weren't commented in mysql.conf and changed the queries to work with ispconfig's table ftp_user. I also turned on mysql logging and all queries that pure-ftpd fires are returning values. I also set MYSQLCrypt to "any" so that is also OK.

However, al things above didn't work. Still the same problems.

Can anybody help?
  3. wouteronline55

In the mean time I got it back working. So I can log in to the FTP users again. It turned out there was a file which containes the min ftp user id which was 1000 but my id's in dbispconfig start at 1.

However, now I'm able to log in but the ftp users have access to all folders. Also, some FTP programs start in root of server some in the dir that is set in the ftp_users table in ispconfig.

The query to get the dir is OK (checked mysql log) and all parent folder of that dir are "root" / "root" (owner, group) so ftp user shouldn't have access to it.

So, either users are given root permissions or my folders aren't protected. Since I didn't change anything to the last one, I suspect the first one.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013