pure ftp don´t work

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cyprus, Oct 31, 2011.

1. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Hello,

I´ve got a vserver with Debian. Just upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze. My Contolpanel was Confixx,which I really hate.
    So for Havens sake Confixx doesn´t work pretty well with php 5.3. This was good reason to look around and finding ispconfig3. Special point for my decision is the available WHMCS Plugin.
    Yesterday I started to work throught the tutorial Debian Squeeze + BIND Courier.
    Most worked fine for me, but I had a failure notice about the Quota Software, something like my kernel doesn´t support it.
    As well I can´t reach the Squirrelmail. And in the Backend of Ispconfig there is an alert which is telling me that ftp is not running.
    At this moment I´m a little bit lost, and don´t know where and how to begin my fixing.
    Confixx is still on this server and apache still provides the Websites on this Server. My Mailaccounts aren´t available anymore after the SSL Key Step.

I´m happy about any hint.

Thanx in advance Cyprus

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Is this a virtual server based on openvz or virtuozzo?
    2) Have you formatted and reinstalled the OS on the server before you installed ispconfig? The ispconfig installation requires a empty server, if confixx was installed on the server without a reinstallation of the operating system, then ispconfig can not work.

3. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Hello Till,

Is it a difference which virtualation software is used?

Thank you and greetings to Lüneburg

cyprus

4. till

Yes, there is a difference. So if you use a vserver, then run:

cat /proc/user_beancounters

if you get some detailed output, then the server uses either openvz or virtuozzo as virtualisation softwrae. In that case, please reinstall pure-ftps as described here:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...irtual-machines-without-capabilities-enabled/

and what about question 2?

5. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Well this looks pretty hard. To difficult for my knowledge level.
    Answer to question 2) no it wasn´t a system from the scratch cause I ain´t got the rights to do that nor do I know if it is a common feature of vserver hoster to give users like me the opportunity to so.

Thank you
    Cyprus

Nun ich hätte gestern nicht das Handbuch kaufen sollen sondern eine Membership dann könnte ich zumindest mit der VM ein wenig spielen.
    Ich danke dir auf jeden Fall für deine Hilfe, aber hier bekomme ich echt kalte Füße. Mir ist nicht mal klar wie ich die aktuelle pureftp Installation wieder los werde geschweige den neu kompiliere. Ich geh wieder zurück in meinen Sandkasten.

6. till

Basically its just a copy and paste of the commands. Just like the steps in the other tutorial.

Your hoster should have a option in its customer controlpanel where you can reset the server image. The image that suits best is a debian 6 minimal image.

The general problem is that no server controlpanel will work reliably on a server where a different panel has been installed before as every controlpanel has ist specific system setup and system requirements. So plesk will not work on a confixx server and confixx not on a ispconfig server or ispconfig on a confixx server.

I've sent you a PM.

7. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Okay I´ll try to get a blank system. And come back.

By Cyprus

8. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Okay I tried to implement pure-ftp the way you suggest. And got this error:
    I do understand that something went wrong with pure-ftpd-common, but I have no clue how to fix it.

Thanx Cyprus

9. till

You have to uninstall the pure-ftpd that you installed from the debian repositories first, before you install the manually compiled one.

apt-get remove pure-ftpd-common pure-ftpd-mysql

and then again:

dpkg -i pure-ftpd_1.0.28-3_amd64.deb pure-ftpd-mysql_1.0.28-3_amd64.deb

10. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Same result:
    It works if I use: apt-get -f install
    But I´m not shure if this is common on OpenVZ VServer.

Thank you

11. till

Thats not common but can happen if the installation of a package failed before. So FTP is working now?

12. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Is it okay?

13. till

Looks ok. Can you login by ftp now?

14. cyprus

cyprus New Member

Not really, but this may depend on the try to login as root
    I ain´t got no other user at the moment.

This is the ftp output:
    For me it looks good. Do you agree?

Bye Cyprus

15. till

Yes, thats ok.

16. cyprus

cyprus New Member

:):D:D:)

So I have overcome the thttpd challenge only an then I can install ISPConfig3.

I´m celebrating my first server setup YEAHHHH! THANK YOU!