Proper fstab quota edit at cloud VPS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Petar, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Petar

Petar Member

Dear Support and colleagues,
    At OVH VPS servers, probably at other hosting companies the default fstab looks like this:

UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / ext4 errors=remount-ro,discard 0 1

In the Perfect server tutorials, its explained that we should add ",usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0" to the partition with mount point / , but should we add it before or after the "discard"?

1. UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,discard 0 1
    or
    2. UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / ext4 errors=remount-ro,discard,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 1

Or should we delete the discard and then paste the line after remount-ro
    3. UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 1

Thanks ina dvance for the help, support and communication

Regards

2. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

discard in a virtual server? interesting ... got a dedicated ssd? if not, u shouldn't need discard at all. it is to notify block devices to trim themselves ... nothing $amount_virtual_servers on a metal should do together I guess.

however, since these are options for how to mount ... the order is not important, just add where u like it best. if you have a high frequency of file access you can however turn on noatime to disable access timestamps if u or your software don't need them.
    https://www.howtoforge.com/reducing-disk-io-by-mounting-partitions-with-noatime

good luck with quotas, not every vps do support them or have this feature activated.