problem sending/receiving email

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wesseldehaas, Mar 5, 2012.

1. wesseldehaas

wesseldehaas New Member

Hi,
    I've recently installed ISPConfig3 using the excellent tutorial here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse-11.4-x86_64-ispconfig-3

It appears to work. I can log on to the dashboard on port 8080 etc.

my server is using a dynamic IP address assigned through dyndns.com.

Unfortunately, I am not able to send or receive any e-mails.

When sending, the mail log file shows something along the lines of:

Mar 5 17:01:51 fred postfix/smtp[5579]: connect to alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.173.27]:25: Connection timed out

When trying to receive an e-mail, I not not see any references in the log file come up.

I have switched off the Suse firewall and have also disabled the firewall in my router. That did not change anything.

My hostname is fred
    Its IP address is 192.168.1.28

My domain is XXXX.com (where XXXX is the domain name that dyndns assigns the dynamic IP address to).

Port forwarding on the router is all OK, as evidenced by the fact that I can log on to the ISPconfig dashboard from outside.

Any tips/help much appreciated. I have had a look at messages posted here from other people with same/similar issues but was unable to distil a winning strategy from this.

Wessel

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is your server hosted on a dsl line or dynamic IP address? Then most email providers will block you as they expect your email to be spam.

The solution is to put the server in a datacenter so it gets a fixed IP address or you relay all outgoing email trogh a relay server.

3. wesseldehaas

wesseldehaas New Member

Thanks!

That would make sense.. I am indeed using a dynamic IP assigned through dyndns.com.

I'm not sure though whether that would also explain why I can't receive any emails. There is no spam risk there.
    Is there anything else I should be looking at?
    Wessel

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Receiving email: Do you get any log lines in your mail.log file about emails rejecetd by your server or about in coming emails at all? If yes, then there must be a configuration problem on your server, in this case please post a excerpt of the mail log that contains the errors.

If you dont get any details about delivered incoming mails in the mail.log, then it might be a router or firewall problem or your isp blocks incoming connections on port 25. First check if you forwarded port 25 tcp from your router to the IP of your server. Then check if port 25 is open in the router firewall and the server firewall, in case you activated it.

5. wesseldehaas

wesseldehaas New Member

6. eko_taas

eko_taas New Member