problem in installing Joomla components

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by qqwong, Aug 31, 2007.

1. qqwong

qqwong New Member

I've installed Joomla on a site hosted in ISPConfig. When I install component into Joomla, I get massage saying "Unable to create directory .....". I guess this is a permission problem.
    I have set the directory world writable. I don't know why it still complain.
    Can anyone help?

I know that ISPConfig creates new user for new site, and the directories and files are owned by the admin user of the site. Which user runs apache serving the new site?
    Who owns the uploaded files?

Thanks.
    Wai

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That depends on the linux distribution that you use. It is most likely wwwrun, www-data or a similar username.

If you upload the files by FTP, they are owned by the web admin user, if you upload them in joomla, they are owned by the apache user.

If you want to run joomly under the admin user of the website, have a look at suphp.

3. qqwong

qqwong New Member

Thanks, Till,

I'm using SuSE10.2. Is it possible to run Joomla without using suphp? I don't mind who runs Joomla as long as it works and Joomla can unload and install extensions.

What makes me puzzling is that even I've set the permission to world writable Joomla still can't create directry. Does anyone got any cue?

Wai

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure. Just install it as descrubed here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/joomla_ispconfig

I guess you made not all nescessary directories writable. Please try the howto above. It should work then.