Poweradmin / PowerDNS PTR records

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by whiz_kid_uk, Nov 16, 2010.

1. whiz_kid_uk

whiz_kid_uk New Member

First of all thanks to everyone in these forums - Your a great help !
    I have a small issue I am trying to work out. I am trying to setup reverse DNS for some IP addresses -
    I have created a zone called in-addr.arpa and then added a record in the format needed - Power admin accepts my entry however when I di @localhost - x ipaddress
    It tells me no
    The server is not setup as a recursive server just authorative Any ideas guys ??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Let's assume you're the administrator of the IP subnet 1.2.3/ and want to create a PTR record for the IP address that should point to www.example.com. First you create the DNS zone 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa (3.2.1 is our 1.2.3 subnet in reverse order) in ISPConfig and in this DNS zone you create a PTR record for 4 (which is our IP address which points to www.example.com.
  3. Waldo

Waldo New Member

I did this and when i run the dig command with the -x switch (PTR Lookup) i do not get the domain back as a reply.
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

But did you get an answer (with a different domain name), or was there no answer section at all?
  5. Waldo

Waldo New Member

Yeah i just realized i was using the dig command wrong. was putting the switch ( -x ) in the wrong spot. Everything is working GREAT! Kinda feel like a doofus.