Poweradmin / PowerDNS PTR records

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by whiz_kid_uk, Nov 16, 2010.

1. whiz_kid_uk

whiz_kid_uk New Member

First of all thanks to everyone in these forums - Your a great help !
    I have a small issue I am trying to work out. I am trying to setup reverse DNS for some IP addresses -
    I have created a zone called in-addr.arpa and then added a record in the format needed - Power admin accepts my entry however when I di @localhost - x ipaddress
    It tells me no
    The server is not setup as a recursive server just authorative Any ideas guys ??

Jez

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Let's assume you're the administrator of the IP subnet 1.2.3/255.255.255.0 and want to create a PTR record for the IP address 1.2.3.4 that should point to www.example.com. First you create the DNS zone 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa (3.2.1 is our 1.2.3 subnet in reverse order) in ISPConfig and in this DNS zone you create a PTR record for 4 (which is our IP address 1.2.3.4) which points to www.example.com.

3. Waldo

Waldo New Member

I did this and when i run the dig command with the -x switch (PTR Lookup) i do not get the domain back as a reply.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

But did you get an answer (with a different domain name), or was there no answer section at all?

5. Waldo

Waldo New Member

Yeah i just realized i was using the dig command wrong. was putting the switch ( -x ) in the wrong spot. Everything is working GREAT! Kinda feel like a doofus.