Postfix & Sender Rewriting Scheme?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by paka, Jun 28, 2014.

1. paka

paka New Member

I manage a site that has a number of mail forwarding addresses. They use it as a simple way to distribute information to various groups of people.

Problem: Some mail servers reject the forwarded email. This happens when the forwarder receives a DKIM signed email and forwards it out.

I understand SRS will correct this issue (the people are quite non-technical. Mailman would mean it would be quite possible that none of those using these Mailman will readily grasp the change).

Running Postfix under Debian Wheezy installed following:

The Perfect Server - Debian Wheezy (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3).

2. paka

paka New Member

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I used this tutorial for a while then ran into unrelated problems and turned it off while debugging.
    I am also wondering if there are any drawbacks to using SRS according to that tutorial.

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

@paka any progress? did you give it a go?

5. SamTzu

SamTzu Member HowtoForge Supporter

I too am interested in SRS implementation in ISPC3.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Active Member

I'm looking at this on debian jessie and not sure it's completely right yet, but if you have jessie-backports, it seems to be something along the lines of:
    Code:
    # apt-get install postsrsd
    # sed -i "s/^SRS_DOMAIN=.*/SRS_DOMAIN=`hostname -f`/" /etc/default/postsrsd
    # service postsrsd stop
    # service postsrsd start
    # postconf -e "sender_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10001"
    # postconf -e "sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender"
    # postconf -e "recipient_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10002"
    # postconf -e "recipient_canonical_classes= envelope_recipient,header_recipient"
    # postfix reload

Note that this sets the server's hostname as the outgoing 'domain' to which sender addresses are rewritten - make sure there is an MX record for that hostname, or replies will fail.

I have this disabled right at the moment till I can do a bit more testing, particularly in mailbox Cc: addrs (which appear to use sieve redirect rather than a postfix-level forward). But that's a start to play with, and seems to have some initial functionality working in initial tests.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017 at 1:29 AM