Postfix & Sender Rewriting Scheme?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by paka, Jun 28, 2014.

1. paka

paka New Member

I manage a site that has a number of mail forwarding addresses. They use it as a simple way to distribute information to various groups of people.

Problem: Some mail servers reject the forwarded email. This happens when the forwarder receives a DKIM signed email and forwards it out.

I understand SRS will correct this issue (the people are quite non-technical. Mailman would mean it would be quite possible that none of those using these Mailman will readily grasp the change).

Running Postfix under Debian Wheezy installed following:

The Perfect Server - Debian Wheezy (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3).

2. paka

paka New Member

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I used this tutorial for a while then ran into unrelated problems and turned it off while debugging.
    I am also wondering if there are any drawbacks to using SRS according to that tutorial.

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

@paka any progress? did you give it a go?

5. SamTzu

SamTzu Member HowtoForge Supporter

I too am interested in SRS implementation in ISPC3.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this on debian jessie and not sure it's completely right yet, but if you have jessie-backports, it seems to be something along the lines of:
    Code:
    # apt-get install postsrsd
    # sed -i "s/^SRS_DOMAIN=.*/SRS_DOMAIN=`hostname -f`/" /etc/default/postsrsd
    # service postsrsd stop
    # service postsrsd start
    # postconf -e "sender_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10001"
    # postconf -e "sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender"
    # postconf -e "recipient_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10002"
    # postconf -e "recipient_canonical_classes= envelope_recipient,header_recipient"
    # postfix reload

Note that this sets the server's hostname as the outgoing 'domain' to which sender addresses are rewritten - make sure there is an MX record for that hostname, or replies will fail.

I have this disabled right at the moment till I can do a bit more testing, particularly in mailbox Cc: addrs (which appear to use sieve redirect rather than a postfix-level forward). But that's a start to play with, and seems to have some initial functionality working in initial tests.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017