Postfix Mail anti-spam security

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Diogo Jesus, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Diogo Jesus

Diogo Jesus New Member

After seeing this topic I decided to implement those settings which were really effective against spam. The only problem found was the greylist.

Greylist was really effective it only had 2 downsides.
    1- 5 min delay to receive mails. In our company sometimes we receive mails while doing phone calls, so we kinda need instant mail delivery.
    2- Services like OVH will always get blocked in greylist loop.

How does OVH work.
    After receiving a bounceback, they will resend the email with a new hostname, and they will get greylisted again. Basically it stays in loop.

Since in our company we work A LOT with emails we really need to receive all client emails but we also need to block spam.

Is there any other setting that i can setup instead of greylist?

Thank you,

Diogo Jesus
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member

Remove the greylisting setup by that how-to and install postscreen instead; there a pretty decent postscreen configuration in

You should also install postwhite to help with mail systems which behave the way you described OVH. I don't think we have had a single complaint on this once postwhite was setup.

Recent perfect server guides will have actual greylist support setup which you can enable on a per-mailbox basis if needed, but it will still have the problem with ovh and the like.
    Diogo Jesus likes this.
  3. Diogo Jesus

Diogo Jesus New Member

thanks for the info, but what is the main difference from postscreen and greylist? apparently the are both the "same". If that's the case I still cannot use that method since in our country a LOT of companies use OVH services (even we're using for the servers at the moment). Problem is that the only one I know is OVH, but we might have more. So if postscreen acts like greylist I still need another method.

Diogo Jesus
  4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member