postfix - forward email to another server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by balonik, Jun 20, 2011.

1. balonik

balonik New Member

I am looking for a solution for following idea.

I have a mailserver with mydestination set to "" and local mailboxes (no virtual) like [email protected].

I need emails to one user "[email protected]" not to be delivered to local mailbox, but to be forwarded as-it-is to another mail server.

For one server using transport table will be the easy solution, but I need to forward it to backupserver1 and if that is not available to backupserver2.

Using DNS MX entries is not really available, because for is the mailserver defined.

Is this feasable by postfix itself ? maybe some smtp rewrite or another solution ?

thanks in advance
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'd use Postfix transports, maybe in conjunction with a load balancer for backupserver1 and backupserver2. You can then forward your mails to the load balancer which decides to which backupserver it will forward the mails.
  3. balonik

balonik New Member

yes, thanks
    load balancer is an option I am considering at the moment

however, I am not aware if there is an option to use transports with 2 destinations, or is it ?

EDIT: about the lb solution, it will probably require additional hw for it, I'm trying to keep the cost at low as possible, so I'm looking for an alternative, if theres any. thanks
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011