Permissions and file owner

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by planetcaravan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. planetcaravan

planetcaravan New Member

Hi there,

I'm using ISP Config 3. I've configured a couple of clients and all it's working fine.

I don't understand how permissions are working. Many times I have to setup 775 permissions to run many scripts. In Joomla, after a component installation, its folder owner is www-data and not client7.

How can I made file permissions and owner recursive for each client folder?
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are no directory permission cahnges required, you used just the wrong website settings. Joomla and other cms system require the following website settings:

Suexec: on
    PHP mode: php-fcgi

as described in the ispconfig manual.

The chown / chmod that you did is insecure and can cause that other sites get hacked on your server. You shoudl undo these changes and chnage the settings for the website as I suggested above.
  3. planetcaravan

planetcaravan New Member

Thanks for your answer. I've purchased the manual.
    So are you suggesting me to use

Suexec: on
    PHP mode: php-fcgi
    on each site I'm having permission problems?

Do I have to restart Apache afeter this update?
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. Xou should use this setting on every site that runs a php based cms system. With these settings, php runs udner the owner of the website and not the www-data user, that is more secure in case that a site gets hacked and it allows the cms system to store addons and install updates without needing a chmod.

No. Thats all handled by ispconfig. Just wait a minute until the items in the jobqueue (ispconfig monitor) are disappeared.