OpenVZ doesn't work with Quota

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Typhon, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Typhon

Typhon New Member

After XX attempts to create a VPs with ISPC I finally find the problem !
    OpenVZ seems to not work when quota is used ... Maybe if at the installation of quota we applie Quota only to /var/www or something like this instead of /

Thank you for your help !

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats correct, for that reason you can not use openvz on a perfect setup server and we made a different tutorial for hosting openvz servers with ispconfig.

When you use openvz, you wont run any services beside ispconfig and openvz on the host anyway, as all services like web, mail, dns should be inside openvz containers then for security reasons.

3. Typhon

Typhon New Member

Hum i see...and for security and performances reason, there a difference ?
    (I am hosting 30 website but it's grow quickly, i propose mutual hosting)
    Thanks for you help !

4. till

Openvz does not use much resources as its basically a kernel based jail. In my opinion, the benefits of a openvz based system prevail.

The benefits are:

- Security, services like mail and web hosting can be separated into different VM's.
    - Scalability: You can start with one server that runs one or more vm's for mail, web, dns. When your client base grows, you can add more openvz servers and then just move existing vm's to the new server without the newwd to reinstall them to rebalance the load.
    - Maintainability: With openvz, you can do snapshots and full backups of vm's with vzdump easily.

5. Typhon

Typhon New Member

Yeah i see
    And i can for exemple add more ram and disque to a running VM ? (using ISPC or directly using command line, any way)
    Thank you, what are you saying is very interesting and userful !
    (And there is a page to donate few euro for this great project called ISPConfig ?)

6. till

We dont have a deonation page, but you can support the ispconfig development by buying a howtoforge subscription (5 eur / month or 25 eur / 6 months) or the ispconfig manual (5 eur).

7. Typhon

Typhon New Member

Interesting 'cause it's support the dev and it's help me when i have a problem with ISPC..
    For the OpenVZ, it is possible to easily add and remove more RAM, CPU, space...on a running OpenVZ container ?

8. till

Yes, you can change these values at runtime.

9. Typhon

Typhon New Member

Ok !
    Just another question, if for exemple i create a OVZ container with 1Go of ram...i use 64 or 32 bit for the OS (debian) ?

10. till

Today you shpuld always use 64Bit for host and vm's.

11. Typhon

Typhon New Member

I have another question, when i see other sites with VPS offres, i see "vCore" but what is really vCore ? Thread ? or Physical core ?
    For exemple i have to processors :
    One hyperthreaded with 4 cores and 8 Thread (2.5 GHz)
    And another wich is not hyperthreaded and with Octacore (6 core) and 8 Thread (3.6 GHz)
    (I am speaking about Intel Xeon E3-1265LV2 vs AMD FX 8150)
    How many vCore can i have in each ?
    Who's the best for a server made for VMs (OpenVZ) ?

12. Typhon

Typhon New Member

Apparently Intel is better but I need your opinion