Newbie to MAndriva server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by navop, Jan 24, 2008.

1. navop

navop New Member

Trying to install a mandriva server following the How-To Perfect Server and I
    have a few questions

On page 3 where you identify your ethernet connection manually, it asks for a hostname, What should i use their, I do have a domaine name registered, its, so can my hostname be bidou-electronique

My next question and final one is on page 5 (make sure that you use the correct values for mydomain, myhostname, and mydestination)

what values sho i use for the following mydomain, myhostname, and mydestination

Thanks for all the help
  2. Eppolet

Eppolet New Member

Usually there is a host i.e. computer behind three letters www which serves web requests. This computer in turn has an IP address and human given name - hostname. So in your case it could be say "server01". Actual domain name to which belongs this computer is "".
    "mydestination" describes for whom you're receiving mail - all users in domain "" would be my first guess.
    Things like how to find computer's name, related IP address, alias name(s) for certain hosts (computers) are maintained by DNS.
    I would suggest reading "bind" man pages and related how-to's since if your'e setting up mail server you will be dealing with it very soon.
    So far my attempts to find IP address for via SmartWhois function are unsuccessful.

Good luck!
  3. sharimila

sharimila New Member

I found this site It give domain name,ip address and got nice result at free of cost ...
    Its equally to good to smartwhois