new to ISPCONFIG 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by m.johns, Mar 2, 2012.

1. m.johns

m.johns New Member

I am trying to setup a test server to make sure everything is working correctly before switching out some windows servers for mail and dns. I am trying to test with a fake domain on a test network before taking it to a live test before changing my main domain over to this setup. When I follow all steps on perfect server ubuntu 11.10 and try to resolve on internal network using the IP as my dns on sepperate workstation I am unable to ping to hostname. I want to make sure this is all working prior to making it a live test, I have tried to add dns records into the server after full install of ispconfig 3 and it is still nto able to ping any of the records .. mail.hostanme www.hostname ... i can get to the ispconfig control only by the ip:8080 not the hostname.
    Thanks in advance to pointing me int he right direction.

Mike Johns

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. m.johns

m.johns New Member

But once I do have ispconfig 3 up and have the dns records in for said domain, I should be able to use that server as the DNS and resolve said names from it correct?

4. m.johns

m.johns New Member

testing some more on this issue I am able to add a second dns entry for a new domain in ispconfig control panel for xxx.com and make a site for said domain and i can use that server as the dns on a separate workstation and pull up www.xxx.com on that computer no problem. But if I try and pull up the main domain site www.mainhostdomain.com it does not resolve. Anyone have any insight on this issue ?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are your ISPConfig servers authoritative for mainhostdomain.com?

6. m.johns

m.johns New Member

It seems my problem is something to do with the root domain not being found by the server itself. If it is the main name server for the domain, do I need to configure the entries into bind manually? I had thought using the how to setting up the perfect server would include the setup of the root domain, although it seems that the root domain is not being seen.

7. falko

Does
    Code:
    dig ns yourdomain.com
    show your servers as being authoritative for your domain?

8. m.johns

m.johns New Member

When I do a dig it does not show authoritive for the root domain
    but it shows authoritive for the added domain.

9. falko

What do you mean with root domain and added domain?

10. m.johns

m.johns New Member

root domain, meaning the server's domain, server1.test.com test.com. an added domain meaning a second domain added into ispconfig, added say test2.com. test2.com works just fine but the test.com is not working.

11. falko

Ok, you must then go to your registrar's control panel and change the nameservers for test.com to your ISPConfig servers.

12. m.johns

m.johns New Member

When I try and register the name servers on my domain registrer, it is unable to resolve the name server server1.test.com. IP is showing correct and dns record in ispconfig 3 for the server is showing correct.

13. falko