New install - possible to ONLY use third party email?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by talkingnews, Apr 30, 2013.

1. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

Time to update my ISPconfig and VPS, starting afresh.

This time, I'd like to completely leave out ALL aspects of mail servers - sendmail, pop, smtp, procmail... if it's mail related, I want it off my server.

Basically, everything PHP based I'm using (phpbb, wordpress etc) works just fine using my gmail account's SMTP for sending. But I've not yet discovered a way of doing that for things like cron jobs.

Maybe I haven't googled the right keywords, but is there SOME way of providing some kind of "bridge" between a Ubuntu 13 install and my gmail account so that command line and system stuff including CRON can still get messages to me?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

In /etc/aliases, you can configure a email address were emails to the root user shall be sent to. Dont forget to run the "newaliases" command after you changed the file.

3. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

Useful, thanks. But I still need to enter the smtp, port and auth details to get to get the mail OUT from the server... and that's where I can't find the info.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

: mail, sendmail