New install Jessie - Issue with Quota

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ChuckSC, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ChuckSC

ChuckSC New Member

Hello everyone,

I have been happily using ISPConfig for a few years on Debian 7 and I am now working on transitioning to Debian 8. I am reinstalling from scratch for a "fresh start" based on the following documentation:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...ot-ispconfig-3/2/#-install-pureftpd-and-quota

My VPS: Debian 8 64 bits (HVM)
    Linux version 3.12.46-guest-39-a97a54c-x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) ) #4 SMP Mon Aug 10 11:59:25 UTC 2015

I am having some trouble when reaching step "14 Install PureFTPd And Quota" with quotacheck:
    Code:
    [email protected]:~# nano /etc/fstab
    [email protected]:~# mount -o remount /
    [email protected]:~# quotacheck -avugm
    quotacheck: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: No such file or directory
    quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.
    [email protected]:~# quotaon -avug
    quotaon: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: No such file or directory
    [email protected]:~# cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/xvda1    /                 ext3    rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0  0    1
    devpts        /dev/pts          devpts  defaults      0 0
    none          /proc             proc    rw,nosuid,noexec  0    0
    I am not sure what the issue is here, maybe it's linked to the way the disks are mounted on the server?
    Even though it doesn't make much sense, I tried creating a symlink but it did not help as /dev/xvda1 is not missing as far as I can tell.
    I also rebooted the server and checked the version:
    • Quota utilities version 4.01.
    • Compiled with: USE_LDAP_MAIL_LOOKUP EXT2_DIRECT HOSTS_ACCESS RPC RPC_SETQUOTA BSD_BEHAVIOUR
    After checking the forums for similar issues and exhausting a couple of solutions, I am still unable to complete this step. I welcome any advice on this issue so I can finish my installation properly.

Thank you.

Curtis Droppelman likes this.
  2. mattheoh

mattheoh New Member

It's because you are on virtual machine I guess... see this screenshot
    [​IMG]

3. ChuckSC

ChuckSC New Member

Thank you, mattheoh. Sorry for the late answer, I finally had some time to continue with my install.

When I was in the process of following the install instructions, the file /etc/fstab was not empty. However, it did not look like the one presented in the documentation. I added ",usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0" but the rest was already there.

Since I continued the install despite the message, I can now clearly see the quotas are not working as expected:
    [​IMG]

Any advice on what I can do to troubleshoot this and possibly correct the problem? Thanks a lot!

Curtis Droppelman likes this.
  4. Curtis Droppelman

Curtis Droppelman New Member

I recently did a clean install with https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-debian-8-jessie-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3/ and this was the only issue I couldn't fix "out of the box" from their tutorial. However, the following steps worked for me:
    1.)
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root
    or
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/sda /dev/root
    depending upon on what type of virtualization you have
    2.) This step recreates the symbolic link on reboot
    Code:
    nano /etc/rc.local
    paste either of the two lines above exit 0 in /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root
    /etc/init.d/quota restart
    or
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/sda /dev/root
    /etc/init.d/quota restart
    depending upon on what type of virtualization you have (tested working with linode.com jessie image)
    3.)
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Quota and Quotacheck work successfully for Debian Jessie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    till likes this.