nameservers, public domain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tedmouse, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. tedmouse

    tedmouse New Member

    Hi!

    I've spent about 2 weeks going through the forum trying to figure out what's going on. I was registering some domains with LCN.com, but tried another one with godaddy so I could follow the tutorial, but still having trouble. I've followed the perfect server (centos 5.5) twice now on each server too.

    This is my setup:
    • Two home servers with Centos 5.5, ispconfig 3, and their own external ip addresses. Server 1 was to be used as nameserver 1, and server 2 as nameserver 2.
    • Web domain from godaddy

    I've done the following:
    • Set up glue records at godaddy (ns1 and ns2) to the ip addresses of the servers.
    • Set up the nameservers as these records.
    • Looking at www.intodns.com these seem to have registered ok at godaddy. Also looking at whois.domaintools.com the correct nameservers are listed.
    • I set up primary DNS in ispconfig on the 1st server, and secondard in the second server.
    • I added A records for ns1 and ns2 on the primary server.
    • Also setup a website in ispconfig.

    The problem:
    • I can access my server with the external IP addresses, but not the domain name.
    • www.intodns.com shows "ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
      The ones that did not responded are: ..."
    • I've checked dig on localhost and got this:
      dig @localhost any mydomain.com

      ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <<>> @localhost any mydomain.com
      ; (1 server found)
      ;; global options: printcmd
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 23589
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;mydomain.com. IN ANY

      ;; Query time: 5 msec
      ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
      ;; WHEN: Mon Dec 27 19:21:47 2010
      ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 38​

      Which I think is not good...

    Could anyone please send me in the right direction of what to do next? I'm stuck. Many thanks,

    Ted.
     
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Most likely the records are not complete as BIND will not add the domain then. Have you added the domain with the whizard or manually?

    Please post screenshots of the first and second tab of the domain settings form of the domain that is not working.
     
  3. tedmouse

    tedmouse New Member

    Hi Till,

    Many thanks for a response. I used the wizard to add the DNS details, and then added the ns1 and ns2 afterwards like in a tutorial I found.

    Here are the images, I've blanked out the personal details (not sure if this was necessary, but seen other people do it...)
     

    Attached Files:

  4. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Looks fine so far. Are there any jobs listed in the jobqueue in the ispconfig monitor? Do you have any BIND errors in the syslog?
     
  5. tedmouse

    tedmouse New Member

    Hi,

    The jobqueue is empty, as is the sys-log... The system overview shows

    Server: server1 (Redhat Unknown)
    ISPConfig 3.0.3.1
    State: ok (0 unknown, 0 info, 0 warning, 0 critical, 0 error)
    ok:
    The state of your Hard-Disk space is ok
    Your virus protection is ok
    Your Mail queue load is ok
    Your RAID is ok
    Your Server load is ok
    All needed services are online
    The System Log is O.K.​

    The status of services shows everything online. I've restarted the named service at the command prompt and it showdown and started again ok.
    [[email protected] ~]# /etc/init.d/named restart
    Stopping named: [ OK ]
    Starting named: [ OK ]​

    Thanks very much for your help...

    Ted
     

Share This Page