MyDNS notify not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by MrM, Dec 8, 2010.

1. MrM

MrM New Member

I know this has been discussed a million times, but I just can't get it working.

I'm running ISPconfig 3.0.3 (just upgraded from on Ubuntu 9.04. On this server, I have MyDNS as the master DNS. Then I have a second server running bind9 on Ubuntu 10.04 as the slave DNS (no ISPconfig here).

On the master (MyDNS) I have:
    allow-axfr = yes
    allow-tcp = yes
    allow-update = yes
    notify-enabled = yes
    notify-source =
    Also, each zone has the slave's IP in the xfer field.

On the slave (bind9) I have:
    server <MASTER_IP> {
        request-ixfr no;
    As well as all the zones from the master like this:
    zone "<DOMAIN>" {
        type slave;
        file "/var/cache/bind/db.<DOMAIN>";
        masters { <MASTER_IP>; };

The problem is, the slave only receives notifies when MyDNS is restarted on the master. However, if I change a DNS record in ISPconfig, no notification is sent to the slave, and consequently the slave does not receive the updated record. If I run `rndc retransfer <DOMAIN>` on the slave, the record gets updated.

What could be the cause of this problem?
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As you wrote already, thats a known problem with mydns.

The only solution is to use bind instead of mydns.
  3. MrM

MrM New Member

Is it possible to make ISPconfig either restart mydns every time a DNS record is changed, or (better) call a remote script on the slave server, which can then invoke a rndc retransfer?

I would also gladly use bind instead of mydns, but I fear making the switch on a live server with lots of zones is far from trivial.
  4. MrM

MrM New Member

I decided to switch to bind after all. It turns out it's not that difficult at all. I followed your instructions and it all went fine. After the switch, notifies started working out-of-the-box, no configuration necessary.

Thanks for your help, till.