mx records different than website record - error loops back to myself

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by ariban99, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Hi
    i have a sever running ispconfig 3.1
    it hosts a few sites and some emails.
    i have one domain that i host only the website part, but i do NOT host the emails. that is hosted by g suite
    everything works fine, until i send an email from any domain that is hosting my emails on my server, then in that case, i get an error of a bounced email saying the domain loops back to myself

any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

In topic you wrote
    I think your diagnosis is correct. However, you did not show what the MX record is. Sending e-mail server looks up MX record and sends e-mail to server in MX record. Check on your server what is MX record for the domain you send e-mails to, for example with
    Code:
    host domain.tld
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/forums/installation-configuration.27/
    Note also that there is a forum for ISPConfig questions.

3. ariban99

ariban99 Member

My dns records are on godaddy.com
    My A record is my ip x.x.x.x
    My mx records are g suites mx records
    However my other website that i host the email server, meaning my mx records is the same ip as the a record, if i email from my hosted emails to the g suite mx records, i get the error of looping back

4. ariban99

ariban99 Member

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That is all fine and dandy, but what is important here is where your e-mail server tries to send the messages. If it sent them to GMail there should not be looping back. So I ask again:
    Find this out by going to your e-mail server host and issue on command line this:
    Code:
    host midtowndist.com

6. ariban99

ariban99 Member

sorry didnt understand what you meant, here are the results of host midtowndist.com
    midtowndist.com has address 192.168.1.23
    what do i do to fix that?

7. ariban99

ariban99 Member

i figured it out. it was my pfsense firewall, i put the dns resolver to my internal IP so i can reach the site internally.
    i removed that and now its working fine.