Multiple outgoing mail server possibility?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by drewb0y, Nov 4, 2010.

1. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

Is it possible to have postfix set up to use an alternate outgoing server if an outgoing message fails for some reason?

For example, if a user tries to send a message to an address, and the aol server replies that my servers ip address is blocked for some reason,can i set up postfix to resend the message through another server which will be configured as a relay?

I usually monitor the mail queue and warning and error logs daily for any blocks, but it sometimes takes a couple of days for the providers at the receiving end to remove any blocks. I would like to set up an alternate path so that I can minimize any delays for my users.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this one.
  2. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

Additional info

The situation I am trying to address is similar to the one described here

Postfix - Send only rejected mail through smarthost - Server Fault

The suggested solution seems a bit complex with having multiple postfix instances and queues. I also would not want to create some kind of workaround solution which would break anytime ISPConfig3 is updated.

If there is no easy solution, I will just deal with any blocks as they occur on a case by case basis, and the users will just have to deal with it.
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

Thanks. Looks like I got the block cleared up for now, but I will save this info for future use.