migration issues, single db server to multiple and subdomains as aliasdomains.

Discussion in 'General' started by nhybgtvfr, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Active Member

Hi,
    I've got a few issues with migrating 3.13 multi-server (ubuntu 14.04/16.04/18.04 mix) to 3.13 multi-server (all ubuntu 18.04 new clean installs) with a different arrangement of webservers.

firstly on the existing system, the domain limits in client module setting has been enabled, disabled, and re-enabled at various points, which means not everything in web_domain is in the domain table, also some websites were created directly as admin, with no client specified ( ie client0 ).

this causes some issues after a test migration, when (through the ui) I add them to the domain table and resync.
    some websites (client0 owned ones) seem to get replaced with other websites, or the web/group isn't created in /etc/passwd or /etc/group
    anyone else had similar? if so, how did you fix it?
    that said, I believe adding anything missing to the domain table on the source master server, and creating a specific user for the client0 domains/websites on the source server and resync that first will solve those problems

however, I was using a shared database server, with several webservers all accessing the website databases on this single db server.
    i'm now looking at putting moving the databases back onto the webservers. I don't want to migrate all the databases over to every webserver though, using the migration tool, can I specify a load of dbnames using ./migrate --only-db --only-db=dbname as a comma separated list, or ./migrate --only-db --only-db=dbname --only-db=dnname2 .. --only-db=dbnameX or do I have to run the migration separately for every database?

one other thing, not specifically related to migration, but it might cause issues as it affects the domain table.
    I have some sites where the client wants an aliasdomain on a website, where the alias wanted also happens to be a subdomain address, but when configuring an aliasdomain ( or vhostaliasdomain ) it only provides a list of entries from the domain table which doesn't include subdomains.
    my solution so far has been to add the full subdomain as an entry in the domain table.
    is this the only way (without disabling the domain limit)? or is there another recommended way to do this? as this method creates lots of unnecessary entries as available options when creating new dns zones etc.

thanks.
    lee.

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

An inconsistent domain table is really a problem during migration. It'd be better do add all entries to domain table from web_domain with type LIKE 'vhost%'

You can add the --only-db multiple times, so --only-db=dbname --only-db=dbname2 would be correct. Comma-separated entries are not supported, yet.

Yes, all domains that shall be available as domain part of a vhost, aliasdomain, subdomain and so on must be listed in the domain table as long as the domain module is active.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Active Member

yep, I noticed it causes a problem. :( at least you confirm my thought that adding anything missing from the domain table should fix it.
    not sure about client0 owned domains/sites being a problem, but I think we'd want to put them under an internal company account anyway.

cool. that'll make migrating them a lot faster. will only have to re-run it for all the ones a make a typo on. :oops:

thought so. makes the drop-down lists long and messy, but I guess any other solution would be messier/more complicated.

thanks.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sites owned by the admin (aka client0) should be fine.